Windows Phone 8.1: New Features and Support for Large Screens, Higher Resolution, Smart Covers and UI Tweaks
By Ryan Inoyori | July 31, 2014 9:50 AM EST
The Windows Phone 8.1 additional features have been unveiled and it includes support for Smart Covers, custom lock screens, bigger screen resolutions and compatibility with devices having limited internal storage.
Windows Phone 8.1 New Supports
Windows Phone 8.1 is not only limited to Nokia Lumia smartphones according to sources as the maker plans to engage the new OS among devices with larger screen sizes and resolution. In addition, Windows Phone 8.1 will also support Smart Covers, custom lock screens, voice over LTE and folders on the Start Screen.
PCWorld claims that Windows Phone 8.1 users and developers alike can now get the support needed for essential functionalities and accessories on Nokia Lumia and other devices running the new OS.
1. Smart Cover support for accessories to allow users to peak on emails and notifications similar with Android smartphones.
2. On-screen button support allows makers to swap OS without changing related hardware components.
3. Support for larger screen sizes of up to seven inches. Display resolution of up to 1280 by 768 is also supported.
4. Update 1 may include voice over LTE support, customised lock screen from makers and folders on the Start Screen.
5. Extended support on tablets and phablets.
PCMag on the other hand, reported that Windows Phone 8.1 new compression size makes it compatible with several Window Phone OS running device having limited amount of internal storage capacity such as 4 GB.
Developers are now digging essential parts of the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK after Microsoft released it. Based on reports from Extreme Tech, developers will be able to utilise several features for apps and services for customers:
- Inclusion of universal apps as merging to Microsoft products.
- Apps made from the new SDK can now support larger screen devices running Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone.
- Format called ".appx" allows Windows Phone apps to benefit from suspended mode during multitasking.
- Suspended apps in multitasking mode can be swiped away manually to be closed.
- Tweaks on on-screen buttons, notifications bar, monitoring scheme for battery and storage, and VPN.
Current Windows Phone 8.1 Features
As of now, here are the following features provided by Windows Phone 8.1 among Nokia Lumia smartphones being pushed on selected models worldwide.
1. Virtual assistance called Cortana
2. Various customisation from Start Screen to themes
3. Updates on the Camera app with new Photo Apps support
4. Integration across different devices running Windows 8.X and Windows Phone 8.1
5. Free access to Microsoft exclusive services such as OneDrive, MS Office, Skype and Bing.
6. Xbox built-in app with Xbox Music and Xbox Video
7. Updated virtual keyboard with Word Flow
8. New Action Centre
9. Native battery saver support
10. Storage Sense, Data Sense and Wi-Fi Sense
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims