Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live, Cross Dressing Tradition Continues
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Allison Williams is slated to play the titular role in NBC's "Peter Pan Live!" as announced by the network itself. Originally a role offered to Kristen Bell of "Veronica Mars," Allison Williams was awarded the role after Kristen turned it down because of other work commitments. Casted as the leader of the "Lost Boys," Williams is set to continue a cross dressing tradition.
The Network announced that the audience can certainly see a lot of fine acting and svelte stunts from Williams. Williams has a massive singing talent that can also be showcased at the show. Aside from that, the actress will be exhibiting some really "dynamic flying," the announcement said.
The producers are all happy with their find and thinks Williams is a gem, Entertainment Weekly reports.
"Allison Williams is a major find," said executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron in a statement, "She will reinvent the iconic role of Peter Pan with her wit, her warmth, her dynamic flying and her wonderful musical abilities. The score will be sung beautifully and introduced to a whole new generation of families."
NBC's chairman Robert Greenblatt also praised Williams, saying she's perfect for the role because she "will bring the perfect blend of 'boyish' vulnerability and bravado to save the day against Christopher Walken's powerful Captain Hook."
The young actress herself cannot contain her happiness for being entrusted with the project.
"I have wanted to play Peter Pan since I was about three years old, so this is a dream come true," said Williams. "It's such an honor to be a part of this adventure, and I'm very excited to get to work with this extraordinarily talented team. What could go wrong in a live televised production with simultaneous flying, sword fighting and singing?"
Her singing prowess has already been demonstrated in her stint with the HBO comedy, "Girls."
Williams is said to be following the cross-dressing footsteps of Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby -- all of whom were casted as Peter on Broadway and had to don the pants.
Los Angeles Times reports that casting a female on the role of Peter Pan was a practical imperative because the character necessitates acting ability that is far beyond that of most preteen stage actors. But doing so is also said to be adding a sexual subtext that carries echoes of Baroque opera and specific themes found in Shakespearean comedy.
Peter Pan Live is based on the original 1954 Broadway musical, which featured songs such as "I'm Flying," "I Won't Grow Up," and "Ugg-a-Wugg." The show is said to be the network's follow-up to its very successful 2013 telecast of The Sound of Music Live.
Williams is set to work with previously announced star Christopher Walken, who would play the enigmatic Captain Hook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation