Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live, Cross Dressing Tradition Continues
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:48 AM EST
Allison Williams is slated to play the titular role in NBC's "Peter Pan Live!" as announced by the network itself. Originally a role offered to Kristen Bell of "Veronica Mars," Allison Williams was awarded the role after Kristen turned it down because of other work commitments. Casted as the leader of the "Lost Boys," Williams is set to continue a cross dressing tradition.
The Network announced that the audience can certainly see a lot of fine acting and svelte stunts from Williams. Williams has a massive singing talent that can also be showcased at the show. Aside from that, the actress will be exhibiting some really "dynamic flying," the announcement said.
The producers are all happy with their find and thinks Williams is a gem, Entertainment Weekly reports.
"Allison Williams is a major find," said executive producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron in a statement, "She will reinvent the iconic role of Peter Pan with her wit, her warmth, her dynamic flying and her wonderful musical abilities. The score will be sung beautifully and introduced to a whole new generation of families."
NBC's chairman Robert Greenblatt also praised Williams, saying she's perfect for the role because she "will bring the perfect blend of 'boyish' vulnerability and bravado to save the day against Christopher Walken's powerful Captain Hook."
The young actress herself cannot contain her happiness for being entrusted with the project.
"I have wanted to play Peter Pan since I was about three years old, so this is a dream come true," said Williams. "It's such an honor to be a part of this adventure, and I'm very excited to get to work with this extraordinarily talented team. What could go wrong in a live televised production with simultaneous flying, sword fighting and singing?"
Her singing prowess has already been demonstrated in her stint with the HBO comedy, "Girls."
Williams is said to be following the cross-dressing footsteps of Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby -- all of whom were casted as Peter on Broadway and had to don the pants.
Los Angeles Times reports that casting a female on the role of Peter Pan was a practical imperative because the character necessitates acting ability that is far beyond that of most preteen stage actors. But doing so is also said to be adding a sexual subtext that carries echoes of Baroque opera and specific themes found in Shakespearean comedy.
Peter Pan Live is based on the original 1954 Broadway musical, which featured songs such as "I'm Flying," "I Won't Grow Up," and "Ugg-a-Wugg." The show is said to be the network's follow-up to its very successful 2013 telecast of The Sound of Music Live.
Williams is set to work with previously announced star Christopher Walken, who would play the enigmatic Captain Hook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored