Demi Lovato Talks about Treating her Worried Parents During Days of Addiction
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:17 AM EST
Demi Lovato, who always seems to sing from her soul, was once teenager with a lot of angst who feels she is entitled to everything because she is earning a lot of money. It is no secret that she was once put into rehab for her drug abuse, but very few know the extent of her addiction and how difficult she was when she was feeling young, wild and free. Demi Lovato spilled everything to Mail Online UK in an interview.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
Mail Online UK reports that Demi's addiction to drugs started as early as age 12, after she got hooked to some prescribed drugs that she was given after a car crash.
"I liked the feeling they gave me - they sort of numbed everything - and I also liked the sneakiness of taking extra pills out of my mom's bag without her knowing," shared Lovato.
Her addiction got worse when her music career took off and the money started to come in. She felt that if she's earning her own money, then she can spend it the way she wanted to.
"Everything skyrocketed, which was awesome, but the negative side was that I thought, 'Right, I am working like an adult so I should be able to party like an adult," continued Demi.
She recalled being mean to her parents whenever they got on her case for drinking and partying.
"I was making a bunch of money and when my parents would get on to me for drinking and staying out, I would say, 'I pay the bills, so what are you going to do?' I was riding this wave of entitlement and superiority and they were in an impossible position because there's no manual that explains how to deal with the sort of teenager I was. I was performing concerts on an empty stomach. I was losing my voice from purging. I was self-medicating and I was so emotionally whacked out that I took it out on someone that meant a lot to me."
It was her little sister, Madison who got to make her see reason. Demi recalled being threatened by her mom to stop letting see Madison if she will not get her life back on track.
"Mom saying that made me realise that my life was a shambles and, although I had a lot of success, I was also very alone and miserable," stated Demi. "I love Madison and one of the main reasons I wanted to get better was because I didn't want to be apart from her."
She also said being diagnosed with bipolar helped her more. It enlightened her to what she was feeling.
"I'd been living with this mania - moments when I was up all night writing songs, thinking I could take on the world, and also these deep, dark depressions, when all I wanted to do was shut the door and not talk to anyone. And that is why I had been isolating myself - to try to deal with the pain."
Maybe this is why Demi Lovato is not looking to tie herself down with anyone seriously yet and is still waiting for a mature man to claim her heart, Entertainment Wise reports.
"I would be slightly overwhelming for somebody who is not at a level of maturity to support me mentally.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports