Demi Lovato Talks about Treating her Worried Parents During Days of Addiction
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:17 AM EST
Demi Lovato, who always seems to sing from her soul, was once teenager with a lot of angst who feels she is entitled to everything because she is earning a lot of money. It is no secret that she was once put into rehab for her drug abuse, but very few know the extent of her addiction and how difficult she was when she was feeling young, wild and free. Demi Lovato spilled everything to Mail Online UK in an interview.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
Mail Online UK reports that Demi's addiction to drugs started as early as age 12, after she got hooked to some prescribed drugs that she was given after a car crash.
"I liked the feeling they gave me - they sort of numbed everything - and I also liked the sneakiness of taking extra pills out of my mom's bag without her knowing," shared Lovato.
Her addiction got worse when her music career took off and the money started to come in. She felt that if she's earning her own money, then she can spend it the way she wanted to.
"Everything skyrocketed, which was awesome, but the negative side was that I thought, 'Right, I am working like an adult so I should be able to party like an adult," continued Demi.
She recalled being mean to her parents whenever they got on her case for drinking and partying.
"I was making a bunch of money and when my parents would get on to me for drinking and staying out, I would say, 'I pay the bills, so what are you going to do?' I was riding this wave of entitlement and superiority and they were in an impossible position because there's no manual that explains how to deal with the sort of teenager I was. I was performing concerts on an empty stomach. I was losing my voice from purging. I was self-medicating and I was so emotionally whacked out that I took it out on someone that meant a lot to me."
It was her little sister, Madison who got to make her see reason. Demi recalled being threatened by her mom to stop letting see Madison if she will not get her life back on track.
"Mom saying that made me realise that my life was a shambles and, although I had a lot of success, I was also very alone and miserable," stated Demi. "I love Madison and one of the main reasons I wanted to get better was because I didn't want to be apart from her."
She also said being diagnosed with bipolar helped her more. It enlightened her to what she was feeling.
"I'd been living with this mania - moments when I was up all night writing songs, thinking I could take on the world, and also these deep, dark depressions, when all I wanted to do was shut the door and not talk to anyone. And that is why I had been isolating myself - to try to deal with the pain."
Maybe this is why Demi Lovato is not looking to tie herself down with anyone seriously yet and is still waiting for a mature man to claim her heart, Entertainment Wise reports.
"I would be slightly overwhelming for somebody who is not at a level of maturity to support me mentally.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage