Demi Lovato Talks about Treating her Worried Parents During Days of Addiction
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:17 AM EST
Demi Lovato, who always seems to sing from her soul, was once teenager with a lot of angst who feels she is entitled to everything because she is earning a lot of money. It is no secret that she was once put into rehab for her drug abuse, but very few know the extent of her addiction and how difficult she was when she was feeling young, wild and free. Demi Lovato spilled everything to Mail Online UK in an interview.
Singer Demi Lovato serves as grand marshal during the 44th annual Los Angeles Pride parade in West Hollywood, California June 8, 2014.
Mail Online UK reports that Demi's addiction to drugs started as early as age 12, after she got hooked to some prescribed drugs that she was given after a car crash.
"I liked the feeling they gave me - they sort of numbed everything - and I also liked the sneakiness of taking extra pills out of my mom's bag without her knowing," shared Lovato.
Her addiction got worse when her music career took off and the money started to come in. She felt that if she's earning her own money, then she can spend it the way she wanted to.
"Everything skyrocketed, which was awesome, but the negative side was that I thought, 'Right, I am working like an adult so I should be able to party like an adult," continued Demi.
She recalled being mean to her parents whenever they got on her case for drinking and partying.
"I was making a bunch of money and when my parents would get on to me for drinking and staying out, I would say, 'I pay the bills, so what are you going to do?' I was riding this wave of entitlement and superiority and they were in an impossible position because there's no manual that explains how to deal with the sort of teenager I was. I was performing concerts on an empty stomach. I was losing my voice from purging. I was self-medicating and I was so emotionally whacked out that I took it out on someone that meant a lot to me."
It was her little sister, Madison who got to make her see reason. Demi recalled being threatened by her mom to stop letting see Madison if she will not get her life back on track.
"Mom saying that made me realise that my life was a shambles and, although I had a lot of success, I was also very alone and miserable," stated Demi. "I love Madison and one of the main reasons I wanted to get better was because I didn't want to be apart from her."
She also said being diagnosed with bipolar helped her more. It enlightened her to what she was feeling.
"I'd been living with this mania - moments when I was up all night writing songs, thinking I could take on the world, and also these deep, dark depressions, when all I wanted to do was shut the door and not talk to anyone. And that is why I had been isolating myself - to try to deal with the pain."
Maybe this is why Demi Lovato is not looking to tie herself down with anyone seriously yet and is still waiting for a mature man to claim her heart, Entertainment Wise reports.
"I would be slightly overwhelming for somebody who is not at a level of maturity to support me mentally.''
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James