Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas Happy to be Alive and Together
By Annie Dee | July 31, 2014 8:15 AM EST
Catherine Zeta-Jones claims she was a mess after her husband was diagnosed with cancer. While Michael Douglas was fighting for his life, Catherine was fighting to stay strong for him even if she claimed she was a big mess. Who in her position would not be?
Michael Douglas (L) and Catherine Zeta-Jones attend the 40th Anniversary Chaplin Award Gala at Lincoln Center in New York in this file photo taken April 22, 2013. Douglas and Zeta-Jones, both Oscar winners and among Hollywood's most high-profile couples, have separated in what could spell the end of their nearly 13-year marriage, People magazine reported on Wednesday.
Telegraph UK reports that Catherine Zeta-Jones talked of the harrowing experience of having a husband diagnosed with cancer. She and her husband, Michael Douglas appeared at the New York doctor's convention and shared the emotional struggles they individually have to deal with as Douglas battles for his life.
Knowing what they went through when Douglas was first diagnosed, Zeta-Jones became quite emotional as she spoke with the doctors, realizing how miraculous it was that she's standing there with her husband. Considering Douglas' condition, Catherine's own diagnosis of bipolar disorder and their period of breakup, Zeta-Jones seems entitled to be a bit "messed up," Telegraph UK reports. Douglas himself was able to share a lot of his ordeal on this convention.
"I'm very happy to be here this morning with my husband," shared Zeta-Jones to the doctors, adding, "I mean that literally. I'm very happy to be here with my husband."
She shared that upon learning Douglas had stage four cancer of the tongue, she was more than shell-shocked.
"I was a mess. I'll be quite frank, I was a mess. When I'm married to a man who has such a conviction for life ... he fights to make the wrongs right. For the first time he was fighting for his life," continued the actress.
When it was Douglas' turn to speak, he shared his gratitude to the team of doctors who made his cancer go away.
"In all seriousness and in every sense of the word. I'm very fortunate to be here today."
The actor, who is said to be cancer free since 2011, claimed he owes his life to the New York's Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
"We can only imagine what the next century will bring. Thank you for saving my life."
The couple certainly went through a lot. When Douglas was diagnosed with cancer and undergoing treatments, Zeta-Jones herself underwent treatment for bipolar disorder.
Celeb Dirty Laundry also claimed they separated for some months last year because of a nasty misunderstanding. Zeta Jones was said to be upset about candid disclosure during interviews that he contracted his cancer from oral sex, without clarifying that the virus was contracted not from sex with Catherine. He got the virus even before they met. They have since reconciled and now living together in their New York apartment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates