Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 30, 2014 10:44 PM EST
Many were wondering last week why Blake Griffin, the Los Angeles Clippers' high flying all-star backed out of the United States' Men's Basketball team that will represent the country in the upcoming FIBA World Championships in Spain.
LA Clippers' Blake Griffin will look to dominate the LA Lakers. Reuters
According to ESPN, a stress fracture in his back which has not wholly healed is the culprit for his absence in the start of training camp for the team. His medical team advised him to give ample time for the injury which he suffered during the Clippers' 2014 playoff run to fully heal. The recovery time positively puts the dunk champion in the right track for the start of the upcoming NBA season.
Griffin along with Minnesota Timberwolves power forward have already left the thinned frontline of the squad. Love is also leaving the squad amidst uncertainties of the trade request he demanded from his mother club.
Their withdrawal from the team forced Jerry Colangelo, Team USA's manager to look for alternatives upfront. They recently added Atlanta Hawks power forward Paul Millsap to the roster and are also counting on the developments of young guns Andre Drummond and DeMarcus Cousins of the Detroit Pistons and Sacramento Kings, respectively.
Griffin's absence is more of a precautionary move as he has continued to work out this summer with teammates DeAndre Jordan and Sasha Vujacic. The slam dunk champion and his teammates are also waiting for the resolution of the Donald Sterling debacle that has placed question marks on the stability of the team.
Despite Griffin and Love's absence, Team U.S.A. is still the favorite to come out of the FIBA Worlds in Spain as it boasts a formidable roster headed by the likes of Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation