Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 30, 2014 10:44 PM EST
Many were wondering last week why Blake Griffin, the Los Angeles Clippers' high flying all-star backed out of the United States' Men's Basketball team that will represent the country in the upcoming FIBA World Championships in Spain.
LA Clippers' Blake Griffin will look to dominate the LA Lakers. Reuters
According to ESPN, a stress fracture in his back which has not wholly healed is the culprit for his absence in the start of training camp for the team. His medical team advised him to give ample time for the injury which he suffered during the Clippers' 2014 playoff run to fully heal. The recovery time positively puts the dunk champion in the right track for the start of the upcoming NBA season.
Griffin along with Minnesota Timberwolves power forward have already left the thinned frontline of the squad. Love is also leaving the squad amidst uncertainties of the trade request he demanded from his mother club.
Their withdrawal from the team forced Jerry Colangelo, Team USA's manager to look for alternatives upfront. They recently added Atlanta Hawks power forward Paul Millsap to the roster and are also counting on the developments of young guns Andre Drummond and DeMarcus Cousins of the Detroit Pistons and Sacramento Kings, respectively.
Griffin's absence is more of a precautionary move as he has continued to work out this summer with teammates DeAndre Jordan and Sasha Vujacic. The slam dunk champion and his teammates are also waiting for the resolution of the Donald Sterling debacle that has placed question marks on the stability of the team.
Despite Griffin and Love's absence, Team U.S.A. is still the favorite to come out of the FIBA Worlds in Spain as it boasts a formidable roster headed by the likes of Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft