Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 30, 2014 10:44 PM EST
Many were wondering last week why Blake Griffin, the Los Angeles Clippers' high flying all-star backed out of the United States' Men's Basketball team that will represent the country in the upcoming FIBA World Championships in Spain.
LA Clippers' Blake Griffin will look to dominate the LA Lakers. Reuters
According to ESPN, a stress fracture in his back which has not wholly healed is the culprit for his absence in the start of training camp for the team. His medical team advised him to give ample time for the injury which he suffered during the Clippers' 2014 playoff run to fully heal. The recovery time positively puts the dunk champion in the right track for the start of the upcoming NBA season.
Griffin along with Minnesota Timberwolves power forward have already left the thinned frontline of the squad. Love is also leaving the squad amidst uncertainties of the trade request he demanded from his mother club.
Their withdrawal from the team forced Jerry Colangelo, Team USA's manager to look for alternatives upfront. They recently added Atlanta Hawks power forward Paul Millsap to the roster and are also counting on the developments of young guns Andre Drummond and DeMarcus Cousins of the Detroit Pistons and Sacramento Kings, respectively.
Griffin's absence is more of a precautionary move as he has continued to work out this summer with teammates DeAndre Jordan and Sasha Vujacic. The slam dunk champion and his teammates are also waiting for the resolution of the Donald Sterling debacle that has placed question marks on the stability of the team.
Despite Griffin and Love's absence, Team U.S.A. is still the favorite to come out of the FIBA Worlds in Spain as it boasts a formidable roster headed by the likes of Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4