Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 30, 2014 10:20 PM EST
After the gruesome leg injury was streamed all over social media and televisions worldwide, many were ready to proclaim the career of the Spider, Anderson Silva all but finished. He may be the only one who is persevering to prove the detractors otherwise.
MMA: UFC 168-Weidman vs Silva (Reuters)
Silva is scheduled to return to the Octagon to face another come backing star in Nick Diaz on January 31, 2015 in a pay per view event that will be held in Las Vegas.
The middleweight bout was made official with the announcement of Dana White per ESPN. Ed Soares, manager of Silva also made the deal complete with the confirmation that he just met with White to iron out the details of the fight.
"As soon as we got out of the meeting, Anderson was like a little kid because he was so excited to be back," Soares said. "He's worked very hard to get to this point [where he's capable of returning]."
Nick Diaz is the returning black sheep of the sport who raring to repair his reputation by signing to a new deal last week for a minimum of three fights. During the press conference of the said signing he expressed his desire to be pitted against Silva. Dana White doused the rumours with cold water saying that Silva is still undergoing rehabilitation and may not be available up until February of next year. That is not the case now as a deal came quickly.
Skeptics are wary of the recovery ability of Silva after suffering a broken leg 1:16 into the second round against reigning middleweight champion Chris Weidman. The impact of Silva's kick into Weidman's leg caused his tibia and fibula to be fractured. The medical team of Silva estimated a nine months recovery timeframe for the former undefeated champion but he progressed quickly and will be ready to train soon.
The 39 year old fighter is trying to be back to the Anderson of old and make believers of us all, Soares proclaims.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L