Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 30, 2014 10:20 PM EST
After the gruesome leg injury was streamed all over social media and televisions worldwide, many were ready to proclaim the career of the Spider, Anderson Silva all but finished. He may be the only one who is persevering to prove the detractors otherwise.
MMA: UFC 168-Weidman vs Silva (Reuters)
Silva is scheduled to return to the Octagon to face another come backing star in Nick Diaz on January 31, 2015 in a pay per view event that will be held in Las Vegas.
The middleweight bout was made official with the announcement of Dana White per ESPN. Ed Soares, manager of Silva also made the deal complete with the confirmation that he just met with White to iron out the details of the fight.
"As soon as we got out of the meeting, Anderson was like a little kid because he was so excited to be back," Soares said. "He's worked very hard to get to this point [where he's capable of returning]."
Nick Diaz is the returning black sheep of the sport who raring to repair his reputation by signing to a new deal last week for a minimum of three fights. During the press conference of the said signing he expressed his desire to be pitted against Silva. Dana White doused the rumours with cold water saying that Silva is still undergoing rehabilitation and may not be available up until February of next year. That is not the case now as a deal came quickly.
Skeptics are wary of the recovery ability of Silva after suffering a broken leg 1:16 into the second round against reigning middleweight champion Chris Weidman. The impact of Silva's kick into Weidman's leg caused his tibia and fibula to be fractured. The medical team of Silva estimated a nine months recovery timeframe for the former undefeated champion but he progressed quickly and will be ready to train soon.
The 39 year old fighter is trying to be back to the Anderson of old and make believers of us all, Soares proclaims.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation