2014 Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony; Kylie Minogue to Perform in Hampden Park to Close the Competition
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 30, 2014 9:31 PM EST
In four days, the 2014 Commonwealth Games will come to a conclusion. As the world, especially the participating Commonwealth nations, continue cheer for their athletes in their respective sports and discipline, people are also looking forward to the closing ceremony which happens on Aug. 3.
Performers take part in the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The closing ceremony will be held at Hampden Park, which as described on the tournament's Web site has "a full infield complete with freshly-cut grass sits on temporary deck made up of 1,000 base panels which are supported by over 6,000 structural steel stilts." Hampden Park is Scotland's national stadium in Glasgow. It also hosts competitions for Track and Field Athletics of the continuing Commonwealth Games.
Hampden Park has previously a number of sport competitions including 1999 Rugby World Cup. It can accommodate up to 44,000 people, who will get to relive the highlights of the competition. For those who wouldn't be able to come to the venue to witness the closing ceremony, the ceremony will also be broadcasted to selected international audience all over the globe. The budget allotted for the opening and closing ceremonies is reportedly £14 million.
Furthermore, Scotland will formally hand over the flag to the Gold Coast, which will host the 2018 Commonwealth Games, in the closing ceremony.
Tthe special closing celebratory event will include live music, special guests, and great performances. It has previously been revealed that Kylie Minogue will perform in the closing ceremony. The organisers thought that the pretty and ageless Aussie singer is the perfect performer that can "link" Glasgow to the new host nation, which is Australia's Gold Coast, The Scotsman reported.
Minogue was charmed and elated that her management was able to get her a deal as big as performing in the closing ceremony. A source close to the situation said that the pop singer was aware that she as attained a celebrity status in the UK at some point in her live but never really managed to become world-famous like Beyonce. Even so, the source uttered that Minogue can definitely put on a good show.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe