2014 Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony; Kylie Minogue to Perform in Hampden Park to Close the Competition
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 30, 2014 9:31 PM EST
In four days, the 2014 Commonwealth Games will come to a conclusion. As the world, especially the participating Commonwealth nations, continue cheer for their athletes in their respective sports and discipline, people are also looking forward to the closing ceremony which happens on Aug. 3.
Performers take part in the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games at Celtic Park in Glasgow, Scotland, July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
The closing ceremony will be held at Hampden Park, which as described on the tournament's Web site has "a full infield complete with freshly-cut grass sits on temporary deck made up of 1,000 base panels which are supported by over 6,000 structural steel stilts." Hampden Park is Scotland's national stadium in Glasgow. It also hosts competitions for Track and Field Athletics of the continuing Commonwealth Games.
Hampden Park has previously a number of sport competitions including 1999 Rugby World Cup. It can accommodate up to 44,000 people, who will get to relive the highlights of the competition. For those who wouldn't be able to come to the venue to witness the closing ceremony, the ceremony will also be broadcasted to selected international audience all over the globe. The budget allotted for the opening and closing ceremonies is reportedly £14 million.
Furthermore, Scotland will formally hand over the flag to the Gold Coast, which will host the 2018 Commonwealth Games, in the closing ceremony.
Tthe special closing celebratory event will include live music, special guests, and great performances. It has previously been revealed that Kylie Minogue will perform in the closing ceremony. The organisers thought that the pretty and ageless Aussie singer is the perfect performer that can "link" Glasgow to the new host nation, which is Australia's Gold Coast, The Scotsman reported.
Minogue was charmed and elated that her management was able to get her a deal as big as performing in the closing ceremony. A source close to the situation said that the pop singer was aware that she as attained a celebrity status in the UK at some point in her live but never really managed to become world-famous like Beyonce. Even so, the source uttered that Minogue can definitely put on a good show.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build