Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
By Sarah Thomas | July 30, 2014 8:00 PM EST
At the 2014 Reebok CrossFit Games, Reebok, a manufacturer of athletic shoes and accessories, launched a line of bacon. The self-branded bacon line was started to allure the Paleo Diet and CrossFit community fans.
Usain Bolt of Jamaica celebrates next to the scoreboard after setting a new world record in the men's 100 meters race next at the Reebok Grand Prix athletics meet in New York, May 31, 2008.
Reebok, sponsor of the CrossFit Games which was held from July 22 to 27 in Carson, California, brought out its promotional products for the people. A food truck named the Reebok Bacon Box was brought on the event site and bacon treats were distributed to the attendees. Some of which were the bacon wrapped artichokes, bacon-wrapped seasoned pork belly and carne asada.
The executive creative director at Venables Bell & Partners, Will McGinness, who helped create this project, said that the move was made to engage with the CrossFit community in an authentic, memorable way. The CrossFit community loves bacon, they eat and talk about it, he stated. "Some even wear clothes featuring it. We wanted to embrace the love of bacon and build something fun for the community, while remaining authentic to its spirit."
Reebok said that its self-branded bacon line was a natural fit, as CrossFitters often follow the Paleo diet and vice-versa, and both crowds go ham for bacon. This love for bacon is what inspired them to start this new bacon line.
Paleo's diet stresses on unprocessed food, keeping in mind that Reebok's bacon is uncured and includes no preservatives, nitrates, MSG or sweeteners. The Paleo diet has been followed by several people, including Tim McGraw who stated that due to the CrossFit and Paleo, he lost 40 pounds. Megan Fox is also a fan of the diet; she shed all her baby weight in five months, thanks to the diet.
The diet has become very popular among the masses; scientific study further suggests that the diet boosts weight loss twice as much as a normal diet would. A two-year study conducted by the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition tracked 70 overweight, post menstrual women. They were asked to follow either a low-fat diet or a low-carb Paleo diet, it was seen that those who followed the low-carb Paleo diet lost twice the weight than those following the low fat diet. It was twice as effective for weight loss, melting fat around the stomach and controlling diabetes as well.
The Paleo diet prescribes high-quality animal proteins, healthy fats, vegetables and fruits and stresses on the avoidance of gluten, sugar, dairy, legumes, starches, alcohol and processed foods.
Reebok, however, has not announced if the bacon would be made available to the general masses. Bacon lovers can only be hopeful of that, but the porcine treats were a huge hit at the 2014 CrossFit Games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Deadly Bat Virus Kills Three In Queensland; Shoot To Kill Policy In Place
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’