5 Insanely Expensive Divorce Settlements In Hollywood
July 30, 2014 4:12 PM EST
One of the most important lessons that celebrities taught us when falling in love is to always sign a pre-nuptial agreement before tying the knot. A number of stars featured the wedding of the year, spending millions of dollars in the process.
Golfer Tiger Woods and his wife, Elin Nordegren
However, when the relationship turned sour and parting ways became inevitable, they realized that they have to spend ten times more than the wedding itself just to have peace and happiness separately.
1. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving
When they were happily married, the two dined at a restaurant where Irving asked the "Jurassic Park" director to sign a settlement of $100 million on a table napkin. Little did Spielberg know that Irving would use the same scrap of paper to walk away with the giant sum, which was legally binding.
2. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren
After the womanizing scandal of the golfing great, her model wife did not only bash Tiger's Cadillac with a golf club, she walked away with a lot of cash, somewhere in the range of $200 and $500 million.
3. Steve and Elaine Wynn
The casino mogul has a net worth of $3.7 billion, but he had to give away $741 million of it to former wife Elaine Wynn when they divorced in 2010. The couple was actually divorced two times, with the first one in 1986. Elaine owns almost ten million shares in Steve's casinos, raising her net worth to about $1.2 billion.
4. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills
The two had a fantasy wedding in an Irish Castle but later on had a much publicized divorce. Mills initially asked for $250 million, but the judge thought that her claims were ridiculous, finally letting her walk away with $48 million. Mills was still happy with the lot.
5. Rupert and Anna Murdoch
After being married for more than three decades, the two decided to divorce in 1999. At the time, the divorce settlement was the largest in history at $1.7 billion. Anna was also close to continue sitting as a board member of the Murdoch business after but Rupert kicked her out. The amount is actually a meager sum, considering that the Murdoch family has an estimated net worth of $14.3 billion.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best