5 Insanely Expensive Divorce Settlements In Hollywood
July 30, 2014 4:12 PM EST
One of the most important lessons that celebrities taught us when falling in love is to always sign a pre-nuptial agreement before tying the knot. A number of stars featured the wedding of the year, spending millions of dollars in the process.
Golfer Tiger Woods and his wife, Elin Nordegren
However, when the relationship turned sour and parting ways became inevitable, they realized that they have to spend ten times more than the wedding itself just to have peace and happiness separately.
1. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving
When they were happily married, the two dined at a restaurant where Irving asked the "Jurassic Park" director to sign a settlement of $100 million on a table napkin. Little did Spielberg know that Irving would use the same scrap of paper to walk away with the giant sum, which was legally binding.
2. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren
After the womanizing scandal of the golfing great, her model wife did not only bash Tiger's Cadillac with a golf club, she walked away with a lot of cash, somewhere in the range of $200 and $500 million.
3. Steve and Elaine Wynn
The casino mogul has a net worth of $3.7 billion, but he had to give away $741 million of it to former wife Elaine Wynn when they divorced in 2010. The couple was actually divorced two times, with the first one in 1986. Elaine owns almost ten million shares in Steve's casinos, raising her net worth to about $1.2 billion.
4. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills
The two had a fantasy wedding in an Irish Castle but later on had a much publicized divorce. Mills initially asked for $250 million, but the judge thought that her claims were ridiculous, finally letting her walk away with $48 million. Mills was still happy with the lot.
5. Rupert and Anna Murdoch
After being married for more than three decades, the two decided to divorce in 1999. At the time, the divorce settlement was the largest in history at $1.7 billion. Anna was also close to continue sitting as a board member of the Murdoch business after but Rupert kicked her out. The amount is actually a meager sum, considering that the Murdoch family has an estimated net worth of $14.3 billion.
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft