5 Insanely Expensive Divorce Settlements In Hollywood
July 30, 2014 4:12 PM EST
One of the most important lessons that celebrities taught us when falling in love is to always sign a pre-nuptial agreement before tying the knot. A number of stars featured the wedding of the year, spending millions of dollars in the process.
Golfer Tiger Woods and his wife, Elin Nordegren
However, when the relationship turned sour and parting ways became inevitable, they realized that they have to spend ten times more than the wedding itself just to have peace and happiness separately.
1. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving
When they were happily married, the two dined at a restaurant where Irving asked the "Jurassic Park" director to sign a settlement of $100 million on a table napkin. Little did Spielberg know that Irving would use the same scrap of paper to walk away with the giant sum, which was legally binding.
2. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren
After the womanizing scandal of the golfing great, her model wife did not only bash Tiger's Cadillac with a golf club, she walked away with a lot of cash, somewhere in the range of $200 and $500 million.
3. Steve and Elaine Wynn
The casino mogul has a net worth of $3.7 billion, but he had to give away $741 million of it to former wife Elaine Wynn when they divorced in 2010. The couple was actually divorced two times, with the first one in 1986. Elaine owns almost ten million shares in Steve's casinos, raising her net worth to about $1.2 billion.
4. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills
The two had a fantasy wedding in an Irish Castle but later on had a much publicized divorce. Mills initially asked for $250 million, but the judge thought that her claims were ridiculous, finally letting her walk away with $48 million. Mills was still happy with the lot.
5. Rupert and Anna Murdoch
After being married for more than three decades, the two decided to divorce in 1999. At the time, the divorce settlement was the largest in history at $1.7 billion. Anna was also close to continue sitting as a board member of the Murdoch business after but Rupert kicked her out. The amount is actually a meager sum, considering that the Murdoch family has an estimated net worth of $14.3 billion.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists