5 Insanely Expensive Divorce Settlements In Hollywood
July 30, 2014 4:12 PM EST
One of the most important lessons that celebrities taught us when falling in love is to always sign a pre-nuptial agreement before tying the knot. A number of stars featured the wedding of the year, spending millions of dollars in the process.
Golfer Tiger Woods and his wife, Elin Nordegren
However, when the relationship turned sour and parting ways became inevitable, they realized that they have to spend ten times more than the wedding itself just to have peace and happiness separately.
1. Steven Spielberg and Amy Irving
When they were happily married, the two dined at a restaurant where Irving asked the "Jurassic Park" director to sign a settlement of $100 million on a table napkin. Little did Spielberg know that Irving would use the same scrap of paper to walk away with the giant sum, which was legally binding.
2. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren
After the womanizing scandal of the golfing great, her model wife did not only bash Tiger's Cadillac with a golf club, she walked away with a lot of cash, somewhere in the range of $200 and $500 million.
3. Steve and Elaine Wynn
The casino mogul has a net worth of $3.7 billion, but he had to give away $741 million of it to former wife Elaine Wynn when they divorced in 2010. The couple was actually divorced two times, with the first one in 1986. Elaine owns almost ten million shares in Steve's casinos, raising her net worth to about $1.2 billion.
4. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills
The two had a fantasy wedding in an Irish Castle but later on had a much publicized divorce. Mills initially asked for $250 million, but the judge thought that her claims were ridiculous, finally letting her walk away with $48 million. Mills was still happy with the lot.
5. Rupert and Anna Murdoch
After being married for more than three decades, the two decided to divorce in 1999. At the time, the divorce settlement was the largest in history at $1.7 billion. Anna was also close to continue sitting as a board member of the Murdoch business after but Rupert kicked her out. The amount is actually a meager sum, considering that the Murdoch family has an estimated net worth of $14.3 billion.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery