Sherlock: Benedict Cumberbatch Says Season 4 is ‘Exciting,’ Moriarty’s Return a ‘Very Good Idea’
By Anshu Shrivastava | July 30, 2014 4:01 PM EST
The final moments of season two finale of "Sherlock" saw Moriarty committing suicide by pulling the gun's trigger in his mouth, on the terrace of St. Bartholomew's Hospital. And, the final moments of season three finale saw his return. Moriarty's gif appeared on T.V. screens across UK, repeating the question "Did you miss me?"
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014.
This appearance has trigged much speculation about Moriarty being alive, or not. The question being asked is how he escaped death, if the character is indeed back in the business to haunt his favourite nemesis, Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Sherlock, seems to know the answer. He, however, is not much into spilling spoiler business.
In an interview with MTV at the Comic-Con, the lissome actor said that they get a rough idea and the story pitch before they get the script, and that he knows what is going to happen in the upcoming series. When MTV asked if he knows how the writers plan to explain Moriarty's return, the actor said, "Yeah," adding, "I think so. I casually choose to forget in order to rediscover it again a little bit."
"... we get a rough idea of where it's going to go before we get the script. But I like casually forgetting, not least because there's a lot of other traffic between then and now but also because it's more fun because it's slightly more fresh," said the actor to MTV.
Cumberbatch remembers that the explanation about Moriarty's return is a "very good idea." He said, "I do remember that detail. I'm just trying not to remember it so I don't blurt it out."
The actor also confirmed that they are doing one-off Christmas special episode. Cumberbatch said that the filming of three episodes is scheduled to begin at the end of next year, adding that the whole purpose of doing "Sherlock" again is doing it better than last time.
"The pitch for this series, it's so exciting," said Cumberbatch. The actor is "ridiculously" excited about doing the new season.
The filming of Christmas special episode is expected to begin early next year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report