Sherlock: Benedict Cumberbatch Says Season 4 is ‘Exciting,’ Moriarty’s Return a ‘Very Good Idea’
By Anshu Shrivastava | July 30, 2014 4:01 PM EST
The final moments of season two finale of "Sherlock" saw Moriarty committing suicide by pulling the gun's trigger in his mouth, on the terrace of St. Bartholomew's Hospital. And, the final moments of season three finale saw his return. Moriarty's gif appeared on T.V. screens across UK, repeating the question "Did you miss me?"
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch smiles as he arrives at the 2014 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood, California March 3, 2014.
This appearance has trigged much speculation about Moriarty being alive, or not. The question being asked is how he escaped death, if the character is indeed back in the business to haunt his favourite nemesis, Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Sherlock, seems to know the answer. He, however, is not much into spilling spoiler business.
In an interview with MTV at the Comic-Con, the lissome actor said that they get a rough idea and the story pitch before they get the script, and that he knows what is going to happen in the upcoming series. When MTV asked if he knows how the writers plan to explain Moriarty's return, the actor said, "Yeah," adding, "I think so. I casually choose to forget in order to rediscover it again a little bit."
"... we get a rough idea of where it's going to go before we get the script. But I like casually forgetting, not least because there's a lot of other traffic between then and now but also because it's more fun because it's slightly more fresh," said the actor to MTV.
Cumberbatch remembers that the explanation about Moriarty's return is a "very good idea." He said, "I do remember that detail. I'm just trying not to remember it so I don't blurt it out."
The actor also confirmed that they are doing one-off Christmas special episode. Cumberbatch said that the filming of three episodes is scheduled to begin at the end of next year, adding that the whole purpose of doing "Sherlock" again is doing it better than last time.
"The pitch for this series, it's so exciting," said Cumberbatch. The actor is "ridiculously" excited about doing the new season.
The filming of Christmas special episode is expected to begin early next year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy