Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
By Ryan Inoyori | July 30, 2014 4:00 PM EST
Official Android 4.4.3 and Android 4.4.4 KitKat updates for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 3 are still delayed while other brands such as HTC and Sony have released new software updates for their respective devices.
Still on Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Both Galaxy S5 and Galaxy S4 are still running the Android 4.4.2 KitKat as Samsung remains delayed on rolling out the latest version of Android KitKat. Although, the company released certain firmware updates but none of them runs a newer version:
1. SamMobile reported a new firmware update for Galaxy S5 Exynos and Galaxy S5 Snapdragon that features performance enhancements running Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
2. Android 4.4.2 KitKat was recently pushed among several variants of Galaxy S4 including Zoom and LTE-A models.
3. Galaxy S3 U.S. variant received Android 4.4.2 KitKat update while the Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 remains on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
4. Galaxy Note 2 received Android 4.4.2 KitKat a few months ago from different network carriers such as AT&T and Verizon in the United States.
5. Galaxy Note 3 received a new firmware which includes Download Booster and Kids Mode from Galaxy S5 but runs Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Apparently, Samsung has not yet released any official statement regarding the delays of Android 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 KitKat for Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Note 3 but there is news about upcoming new devices running the latest KitKat OS.
It is unknown if the firmware faces issues with Samsung apps and services, TouchWiz optimisation or simply delayed to pave way for Android L version coming out later this year.
Behind Other Brands
Other brand manufacturers are boosting devices by sending out Android 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat on several smartphones. HTC, Motorola and Sony are just three among many phone makers in the world rolling out firmware updates for consumers.
1. HTC pushed out the Android 4.4.3 KitKat with security patches based on Android 4.4.4 and Sense 6.0 UI to HTC One M7 and One M8.
2. Motorola released Android 4.4.2, 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat versions to Moto X, Moto G and Moto E.
3. Sony Mobile rolled out several firmware updates such as Android 4.4.4 to Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact, Android 4.4.2 to Xperia Z, Xperia ZL/ZR and Xperia Tablet Z, and Android 4.4.2 as well for Xperia T2 Ultra. Xperia E1 and E1 Dual received an official certification of Android 4.4.2 KitKat from PTCRB.
To contact the editor, e-mail: