Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Steve Nash is on his way out of the NBA—just the perfect time for Jeremy Lin to revert back to “Linsanity” form and help the Los Angeles Lakers in their campaign in the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center.
“I think this is my last season,” shared Steve Nash via Sport TV. “But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”
The retirement mention by the 40-year-old Nash is hardly news but for Lin, it’s a challenge as the Taiwanese-American has an expiring $14.3 million contract in the upcoming season. His performance this year will be his audition for a long-term gig with in Hollywood.
Nash is the general manager of the Canadian basketball national team and was overseeing the game between his country and Slovenia, which features previous Nash’s protégé Goran Dragic. The Slovenian and Nash played three years together with the Phoenix Suns.
Just like Dragic, Lin can learn a lot from one of the best point guards to ever play the game.
"I can’t wait. I remember when he as in Phoenix and was 20 and 10 every night. I can’t wait to learn from him.” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers a week ago.
Byron Scott was also officially hired by the Lakers as head coach and in the next few weeks, he will decide on the rotation in this L.A. roster including the battle at the point guard spot.
The Lakers are not expecting Steve Nash to play like an MVP like he did in Phoenix but the least L.A. could hope for is that his basketball knowledge rubs off to other players including and especially Jeremy Lin, who by default and because of Nash’s injuries, will be the top point guard for the squad in the coming season.
For more NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight