Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Steve Nash is on his way out of the NBA—just the perfect time for Jeremy Lin to revert back to “Linsanity” form and help the Los Angeles Lakers in their campaign in the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center.
“I think this is my last season,” shared Steve Nash via Sport TV. “But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”
The retirement mention by the 40-year-old Nash is hardly news but for Lin, it’s a challenge as the Taiwanese-American has an expiring $14.3 million contract in the upcoming season. His performance this year will be his audition for a long-term gig with in Hollywood.
Nash is the general manager of the Canadian basketball national team and was overseeing the game between his country and Slovenia, which features previous Nash’s protégé Goran Dragic. The Slovenian and Nash played three years together with the Phoenix Suns.
Just like Dragic, Lin can learn a lot from one of the best point guards to ever play the game.
"I can’t wait. I remember when he as in Phoenix and was 20 and 10 every night. I can’t wait to learn from him.” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers a week ago.
Byron Scott was also officially hired by the Lakers as head coach and in the next few weeks, he will decide on the rotation in this L.A. roster including the battle at the point guard spot.
The Lakers are not expecting Steve Nash to play like an MVP like he did in Phoenix but the least L.A. could hope for is that his basketball knowledge rubs off to other players including and especially Jeremy Lin, who by default and because of Nash’s injuries, will be the top point guard for the squad in the coming season.
For more NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]