Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Steve Nash is on his way out of the NBA—just the perfect time for Jeremy Lin to revert back to “Linsanity” form and help the Los Angeles Lakers in their campaign in the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center.
“I think this is my last season,” shared Steve Nash via Sport TV. “But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”
The retirement mention by the 40-year-old Nash is hardly news but for Lin, it’s a challenge as the Taiwanese-American has an expiring $14.3 million contract in the upcoming season. His performance this year will be his audition for a long-term gig with in Hollywood.
Nash is the general manager of the Canadian basketball national team and was overseeing the game between his country and Slovenia, which features previous Nash’s protégé Goran Dragic. The Slovenian and Nash played three years together with the Phoenix Suns.
Just like Dragic, Lin can learn a lot from one of the best point guards to ever play the game.
"I can’t wait. I remember when he as in Phoenix and was 20 and 10 every night. I can’t wait to learn from him.” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers a week ago.
Byron Scott was also officially hired by the Lakers as head coach and in the next few weeks, he will decide on the rotation in this L.A. roster including the battle at the point guard spot.
The Lakers are not expecting Steve Nash to play like an MVP like he did in Phoenix but the least L.A. could hope for is that his basketball knowledge rubs off to other players including and especially Jeremy Lin, who by default and because of Nash’s injuries, will be the top point guard for the squad in the coming season.
For more NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’