Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Steve Nash is on his way out of the NBA—just the perfect time for Jeremy Lin to revert back to “Linsanity” form and help the Los Angeles Lakers in their campaign in the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center.
“I think this is my last season,” shared Steve Nash via Sport TV. “But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”
The retirement mention by the 40-year-old Nash is hardly news but for Lin, it’s a challenge as the Taiwanese-American has an expiring $14.3 million contract in the upcoming season. His performance this year will be his audition for a long-term gig with in Hollywood.
Nash is the general manager of the Canadian basketball national team and was overseeing the game between his country and Slovenia, which features previous Nash’s protégé Goran Dragic. The Slovenian and Nash played three years together with the Phoenix Suns.
Just like Dragic, Lin can learn a lot from one of the best point guards to ever play the game.
"I can’t wait. I remember when he as in Phoenix and was 20 and 10 every night. I can’t wait to learn from him.” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers a week ago.
Byron Scott was also officially hired by the Lakers as head coach and in the next few weeks, he will decide on the rotation in this L.A. roster including the battle at the point guard spot.
The Lakers are not expecting Steve Nash to play like an MVP like he did in Phoenix but the least L.A. could hope for is that his basketball knowledge rubs off to other players including and especially Jeremy Lin, who by default and because of Nash’s injuries, will be the top point guard for the squad in the coming season.
For more NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast