Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 3:39 PM EST
Steve Nash is on his way out of the NBA—just the perfect time for Jeremy Lin to revert back to “Linsanity” form and help the Los Angeles Lakers in their campaign in the 2014-2015 NBA season.
Jul 24, 2014; El Segundo, CA, USA; Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak introduces Jeremy Lin during a press conference at Toyota Sports Center.
“I think this is my last season,” shared Steve Nash via Sport TV. “But I still love to play, practice and work on my game. I’m going to spend hopefully many many years living this life without basketball. It’ll be nice to play one more year.”
The retirement mention by the 40-year-old Nash is hardly news but for Lin, it’s a challenge as the Taiwanese-American has an expiring $14.3 million contract in the upcoming season. His performance this year will be his audition for a long-term gig with in Hollywood.
Nash is the general manager of the Canadian basketball national team and was overseeing the game between his country and Slovenia, which features previous Nash’s protégé Goran Dragic. The Slovenian and Nash played three years together with the Phoenix Suns.
Just like Dragic, Lin can learn a lot from one of the best point guards to ever play the game.
"I can’t wait. I remember when he as in Phoenix and was 20 and 10 every night. I can’t wait to learn from him.” Lin said during his introductory press conference with the Lakers a week ago.
Byron Scott was also officially hired by the Lakers as head coach and in the next few weeks, he will decide on the rotation in this L.A. roster including the battle at the point guard spot.
The Lakers are not expecting Steve Nash to play like an MVP like he did in Phoenix but the least L.A. could hope for is that his basketball knowledge rubs off to other players including and especially Jeremy Lin, who by default and because of Nash’s injuries, will be the top point guard for the squad in the coming season.
For more NBA, Los Angeles Lakers, Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin news, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes