Nicole Richie on What It’s Like to Be Married to ‘The Voice Australia’ Coach Joel Madden
By Anne Lu | July 30, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Being married to “The Voice Australia” coach Joel Madden is great, according to his wife Nicole Richie. The “Candidly Nicole” star sat down with Oprah Winfrey and revealed what makes her marriage to the rocker work.
Nicole Richie speaks during a panel for the VH1 television series "Candidly Nicole" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 11, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
In the “Oprah: Where Are They Now?” episode on July 27, Nicole talked about the good and bad thing about being married to Joel.
“We met and we were partners from day one. And from the second we found out we were going to be parents together, we looked at each other and said, ‘Okay, both of our parents are divorced. We both have had ups and downs with our parents and we don’t really have a strong example of what a healthy family life is,’” she told the former daytime talk show host.
“But we’re recognising that now, so let’s work at it and let’s go through this together as a team. It’s been great.”
And that she would say was “the easiest and hardest part” in their over three years of marriage.
Before becoming a married couple in 2010, though, they were first parents.
Nicole and Joel welcomed daughter Harlow in January 2008, then son Sparrow in September 2009.
“I do know I do the best that I can,” she continued to Oprah, referring to how she is as a mother. “I’m probably constantly, every day, talking to other mums, figuring out the best way to have a strong relationship with our kids.”
She added that she tries to be honest with her kids all the time because they can feel if they are being lied to.
“My kids operate best when I let them have a voice. I really explain things to them because really, kids want to be told the truth. They just do. They just want you to be truthful.”
As one of the pioneers of reality TV shows in the early 2000s, Nicole had no idea what to expect when she agreed to star in “The Simple Life” with best friend Paris Hilton.
“To me, it was extremely fun. I was 21, 22, somebody asked me if I wanted to go away with my best friend for 30 days and get paid for it. I went into it like that. I thought, ‘This is like backpacking, except I’m going to do it this way... in front of people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family