Nicole Richie on What It’s Like to Be Married to ‘The Voice Australia’ Coach Joel Madden
By Anne Lu | July 30, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Being married to “The Voice Australia” coach Joel Madden is great, according to his wife Nicole Richie. The “Candidly Nicole” star sat down with Oprah Winfrey and revealed what makes her marriage to the rocker work.
Nicole Richie speaks during a panel for the VH1 television series "Candidly Nicole" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 11, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
In the “Oprah: Where Are They Now?” episode on July 27, Nicole talked about the good and bad thing about being married to Joel.
“We met and we were partners from day one. And from the second we found out we were going to be parents together, we looked at each other and said, ‘Okay, both of our parents are divorced. We both have had ups and downs with our parents and we don’t really have a strong example of what a healthy family life is,’” she told the former daytime talk show host.
“But we’re recognising that now, so let’s work at it and let’s go through this together as a team. It’s been great.”
And that she would say was “the easiest and hardest part” in their over three years of marriage.
Before becoming a married couple in 2010, though, they were first parents.
Nicole and Joel welcomed daughter Harlow in January 2008, then son Sparrow in September 2009.
“I do know I do the best that I can,” she continued to Oprah, referring to how she is as a mother. “I’m probably constantly, every day, talking to other mums, figuring out the best way to have a strong relationship with our kids.”
She added that she tries to be honest with her kids all the time because they can feel if they are being lied to.
“My kids operate best when I let them have a voice. I really explain things to them because really, kids want to be told the truth. They just do. They just want you to be truthful.”
As one of the pioneers of reality TV shows in the early 2000s, Nicole had no idea what to expect when she agreed to star in “The Simple Life” with best friend Paris Hilton.
“To me, it was extremely fun. I was 21, 22, somebody asked me if I wanted to go away with my best friend for 30 days and get paid for it. I went into it like that. I thought, ‘This is like backpacking, except I’m going to do it this way... in front of people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown