Nicole Richie on What It’s Like to Be Married to ‘The Voice Australia’ Coach Joel Madden
By Anne Lu | July 30, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Being married to “The Voice Australia” coach Joel Madden is great, according to his wife Nicole Richie. The “Candidly Nicole” star sat down with Oprah Winfrey and revealed what makes her marriage to the rocker work.
Nicole Richie speaks during a panel for the VH1 television series "Candidly Nicole" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 11, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
In the “Oprah: Where Are They Now?” episode on July 27, Nicole talked about the good and bad thing about being married to Joel.
“We met and we were partners from day one. And from the second we found out we were going to be parents together, we looked at each other and said, ‘Okay, both of our parents are divorced. We both have had ups and downs with our parents and we don’t really have a strong example of what a healthy family life is,’” she told the former daytime talk show host.
“But we’re recognising that now, so let’s work at it and let’s go through this together as a team. It’s been great.”
And that she would say was “the easiest and hardest part” in their over three years of marriage.
Before becoming a married couple in 2010, though, they were first parents.
Nicole and Joel welcomed daughter Harlow in January 2008, then son Sparrow in September 2009.
“I do know I do the best that I can,” she continued to Oprah, referring to how she is as a mother. “I’m probably constantly, every day, talking to other mums, figuring out the best way to have a strong relationship with our kids.”
She added that she tries to be honest with her kids all the time because they can feel if they are being lied to.
“My kids operate best when I let them have a voice. I really explain things to them because really, kids want to be told the truth. They just do. They just want you to be truthful.”
As one of the pioneers of reality TV shows in the early 2000s, Nicole had no idea what to expect when she agreed to star in “The Simple Life” with best friend Paris Hilton.
“To me, it was extremely fun. I was 21, 22, somebody asked me if I wanted to go away with my best friend for 30 days and get paid for it. I went into it like that. I thought, ‘This is like backpacking, except I’m going to do it this way... in front of people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage