Nicole Richie on What It’s Like to Be Married to ‘The Voice Australia’ Coach Joel Madden
By Anne Lu | July 30, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Being married to “The Voice Australia” coach Joel Madden is great, according to his wife Nicole Richie. The “Candidly Nicole” star sat down with Oprah Winfrey and revealed what makes her marriage to the rocker work.
Nicole Richie speaks during a panel for the VH1 television series "Candidly Nicole" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 11, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
In the “Oprah: Where Are They Now?” episode on July 27, Nicole talked about the good and bad thing about being married to Joel.
“We met and we were partners from day one. And from the second we found out we were going to be parents together, we looked at each other and said, ‘Okay, both of our parents are divorced. We both have had ups and downs with our parents and we don’t really have a strong example of what a healthy family life is,’” she told the former daytime talk show host.
“But we’re recognising that now, so let’s work at it and let’s go through this together as a team. It’s been great.”
And that she would say was “the easiest and hardest part” in their over three years of marriage.
Before becoming a married couple in 2010, though, they were first parents.
Nicole and Joel welcomed daughter Harlow in January 2008, then son Sparrow in September 2009.
“I do know I do the best that I can,” she continued to Oprah, referring to how she is as a mother. “I’m probably constantly, every day, talking to other mums, figuring out the best way to have a strong relationship with our kids.”
She added that she tries to be honest with her kids all the time because they can feel if they are being lied to.
“My kids operate best when I let them have a voice. I really explain things to them because really, kids want to be told the truth. They just do. They just want you to be truthful.”
As one of the pioneers of reality TV shows in the early 2000s, Nicole had no idea what to expect when she agreed to star in “The Simple Life” with best friend Paris Hilton.
“To me, it was extremely fun. I was 21, 22, somebody asked me if I wanted to go away with my best friend for 30 days and get paid for it. I went into it like that. I thought, ‘This is like backpacking, except I’m going to do it this way... in front of people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide