Nicole Richie on What It’s Like to Be Married to ‘The Voice Australia’ Coach Joel Madden
By Anne Lu | July 30, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Being married to “The Voice Australia” coach Joel Madden is great, according to his wife Nicole Richie. The “Candidly Nicole” star sat down with Oprah Winfrey and revealed what makes her marriage to the rocker work.
Nicole Richie speaks during a panel for the VH1 television series "Candidly Nicole" during the Television Critics Association Cable Summer Press Tour in Beverly Hills, California July 11, 2014. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
In the “Oprah: Where Are They Now?” episode on July 27, Nicole talked about the good and bad thing about being married to Joel.
“We met and we were partners from day one. And from the second we found out we were going to be parents together, we looked at each other and said, ‘Okay, both of our parents are divorced. We both have had ups and downs with our parents and we don’t really have a strong example of what a healthy family life is,’” she told the former daytime talk show host.
“But we’re recognising that now, so let’s work at it and let’s go through this together as a team. It’s been great.”
And that she would say was “the easiest and hardest part” in their over three years of marriage.
Before becoming a married couple in 2010, though, they were first parents.
Nicole and Joel welcomed daughter Harlow in January 2008, then son Sparrow in September 2009.
“I do know I do the best that I can,” she continued to Oprah, referring to how she is as a mother. “I’m probably constantly, every day, talking to other mums, figuring out the best way to have a strong relationship with our kids.”
She added that she tries to be honest with her kids all the time because they can feel if they are being lied to.
“My kids operate best when I let them have a voice. I really explain things to them because really, kids want to be told the truth. They just do. They just want you to be truthful.”
As one of the pioneers of reality TV shows in the early 2000s, Nicole had no idea what to expect when she agreed to star in “The Simple Life” with best friend Paris Hilton.
“To me, it was extremely fun. I was 21, 22, somebody asked me if I wanted to go away with my best friend for 30 days and get paid for it. I went into it like that. I thought, ‘This is like backpacking, except I’m going to do it this way... in front of people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28