Manchester United News - Louis van Gaal to Fix 'Broken' Red Devils
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 2:16 PM EST
In his first extensive interview since taking over the helm at Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal admitted that a “broken” Red Devil needs fixing and that tactical and personnel changes with the team are needed for the squad to improve.
New Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal speaks to the media during a news conference at the club's Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester, northern England, July 17, 2014.
"I don't think it is a hard (strong) word because I think when you are seventh the selection at that time, (the team) is not happy and unsatisfied and without confidence and when you are like that you are broken,” shared Van Gaal, who was hired by the squad on May 2014, via the Mirror.
"So now they have me: a new manager so new chances for the players and they want to show themselves unbelievably. That is nice that they want to do that. But we have to make a way of playing football that is not the same as before, and that is difficult for them.”
The 62-year-old Van Gaal has been around Europe in his soccer career. He became the manager for Ajax (Netherlands) from 1991 to 1997; Barcelona (Spain) from 1997 to 2000 and 2002 to 2003; AZ from 2005 to 2009; and Bayern Munich (Germany) from 2009 to 2011).
Van Gaal also coached the Netherlands national team from 2000 to 2002 and then from 2012 to 2014. Recently at the World Cup in Brazil, he led his country to a third place finish.
Van Gaal and Man U are currently in the United States for their Tour 2014 where they have already beaten the Los Angeles Galaxy, 7-0; AS Roma, 3-2; and Inter Milan, 0-0 (5-3 on penalties). Manchester United faces Real Madrid on August 2 (Saturday).
Manchester United finished a lowly seventh in the Premier League and got booted out in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League led by David Moyes who was fired in April 2014. Manchester City, United’s city rivals won the league championship adding pressure to the Red Devils to improve their campaign in the 2014-2015 season.
“It does not bother me. Whether they are ten metres away or 30 km away," declared Van Gaal in the same article when asked about his squad’s rivalry with Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy