Manchester United News - Louis van Gaal to Fix 'Broken' Red Devils
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 30, 2014 2:16 PM EST
In his first extensive interview since taking over the helm at Manchester United, Louis Van Gaal admitted that a “broken” Red Devil needs fixing and that tactical and personnel changes with the team are needed for the squad to improve.
New Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal speaks to the media during a news conference at the club's Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester, northern England, July 17, 2014.
"I don't think it is a hard (strong) word because I think when you are seventh the selection at that time, (the team) is not happy and unsatisfied and without confidence and when you are like that you are broken,” shared Van Gaal, who was hired by the squad on May 2014, via the Mirror.
"So now they have me: a new manager so new chances for the players and they want to show themselves unbelievably. That is nice that they want to do that. But we have to make a way of playing football that is not the same as before, and that is difficult for them.”
The 62-year-old Van Gaal has been around Europe in his soccer career. He became the manager for Ajax (Netherlands) from 1991 to 1997; Barcelona (Spain) from 1997 to 2000 and 2002 to 2003; AZ from 2005 to 2009; and Bayern Munich (Germany) from 2009 to 2011).
Van Gaal also coached the Netherlands national team from 2000 to 2002 and then from 2012 to 2014. Recently at the World Cup in Brazil, he led his country to a third place finish.
Van Gaal and Man U are currently in the United States for their Tour 2014 where they have already beaten the Los Angeles Galaxy, 7-0; AS Roma, 3-2; and Inter Milan, 0-0 (5-3 on penalties). Manchester United faces Real Madrid on August 2 (Saturday).
Manchester United finished a lowly seventh in the Premier League and got booted out in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League led by David Moyes who was fired in April 2014. Manchester City, United’s city rivals won the league championship adding pressure to the Red Devils to improve their campaign in the 2014-2015 season.
“It does not bother me. Whether they are ten metres away or 30 km away," declared Van Gaal in the same article when asked about his squad’s rivalry with Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date