Commonwealth Games 2014: Australia Makes Clean Sweep in 100m Freestyle in Swimming Finals, Bags More Medals
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 30, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Australia's gold medallist Mitch Larkin (C), silver medallist Josh Beaver (L) and bronze medallist Matson Lawson pose with their medals in the men's 200m Backstroke at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 28, 2014. REUTERS/Jim Young
Cate and Bronte Campbell became the first sisters to take gold and silver in the same Commonwealth Games swimming event. Cate Campbell edged out her sister Bronte and won the gold medal while Emma McKeon finished third to complete the all-Australian podium.
Cate Campbell, the 22-year old topped the Commonwealth Games record set by Bronte with a time of 52.68 seconds. Cate was ahead in the first 50 metres of world record speed but was almost defeated by her sister, who made a personal best in the 100m freestyle just 0.18 seconds behind.
James Magnussen, another Aussie defeated fellow Australian Cam McEvoy and won the gold in the 100 metre freestyle, while Tommaso D'Orsogna managed to bring home the bronze and completed the clean sweep of the podium for the Australians.
In another golden display, Michael Shelley won the men's 26.2-mile marathon on day four of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Last 2010 Commonwealth Games in India, Shelley won a silver medal in marathon.
This 30-year-old runner snatched the title with an impressive time of 2:11.15, defeating Kenya's defending champion John Ekiru Kelai.
"It is starting to sink in now," Shelley said via CNN. "I dug deep and I was hoping I wouldn't blow-up like I have done in the past."
"It was still head down [despite building a 100-metre lead], don't think about it too much because anything could happen".
Also, an Australian runner named Jess Trengrove won the bronze medal by completing third in the women's marathon while in the women's long jump, another Aussie Jodi Elkington secured the title.
Australia made it to the top of the medal tally at the Commonwealth Games 2014, overtaking England in with a tally of 30 gold, 25 silver and 32 bronze.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS