Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
By Afza Fathima | July 30, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Crystal Cruises, a luxury cruise operator, announced that it will offer an opportunity to take a trip to view the environmental devastation at the Arctic region and would set sail from Aug 16 to Sept 17, 2016. The cruise will be a "once-in-a lifetime" trip from the Canadian Arctic to Greenland, which is now made accessible only because of the rapid melting of the polar ice.
REUTERS/ Alessandro Bianchi
People watch the cruise liner Costa Concordia moving anticlockwise during the refloat operation maneuvers at Giglio Island July 23, 2014.
Described as "environmental disaster tourism" by Popular Science, the trip, costing between $20, 000 and $44,000, uses transport that releases three times more carbon dioxide for every passenger every mile in comparison to a jumbo jet.
It is being estimated that about 1,000 passengers will board the cruise, 68,000-ton and with 13 decks, on the 32-day trip from Alaska to New York City, in which they will get to see seals, whales, walruses and musk-ox. Crystal Cruise makes no promise of a glimpse of the polar bear, famous in the Arctic region. It is being said that 14 experts will be accompanying the passengers to provide information about the climate change in the environment at the Arctic.
Social media users have criticised the promotion for giving the public the opportunity to see the environmental devastation. The users feel that by watching the site which is being destroyed due to global warming, one becomes a human vulture.
Thomas Mazloum, company executive of Crystal Cruises, has said that the time is right for Crystal to open the gates of the travel industry to the Arctic as they have been doing in the past 25 years.
The tab "Environmental" on Crystal Cruises' FAQ on its Web site mentioned that the ship and the escort vessel will be using a low sulphur fuel, Marine Gas Oil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Human Faces are so Variable Because we Evolved to Look Unique, Finds Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone