Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
By Afza Fathima | July 30, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Crystal Cruises, a luxury cruise operator, announced that it will offer an opportunity to take a trip to view the environmental devastation at the Arctic region and would set sail from Aug 16 to Sept 17, 2016. The cruise will be a "once-in-a lifetime" trip from the Canadian Arctic to Greenland, which is now made accessible only because of the rapid melting of the polar ice.
REUTERS/ Alessandro Bianchi
People watch the cruise liner Costa Concordia moving anticlockwise during the refloat operation maneuvers at Giglio Island July 23, 2014.
Described as "environmental disaster tourism" by Popular Science, the trip, costing between $20, 000 and $44,000, uses transport that releases three times more carbon dioxide for every passenger every mile in comparison to a jumbo jet.
It is being estimated that about 1,000 passengers will board the cruise, 68,000-ton and with 13 decks, on the 32-day trip from Alaska to New York City, in which they will get to see seals, whales, walruses and musk-ox. Crystal Cruise makes no promise of a glimpse of the polar bear, famous in the Arctic region. It is being said that 14 experts will be accompanying the passengers to provide information about the climate change in the environment at the Arctic.
Social media users have criticised the promotion for giving the public the opportunity to see the environmental devastation. The users feel that by watching the site which is being destroyed due to global warming, one becomes a human vulture.
Thomas Mazloum, company executive of Crystal Cruises, has said that the time is right for Crystal to open the gates of the travel industry to the Arctic as they have been doing in the past 25 years.
The tab "Environmental" on Crystal Cruises' FAQ on its Web site mentioned that the ship and the escort vessel will be using a low sulphur fuel, Marine Gas Oil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate