Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
By Afza Fathima | July 30, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Crystal Cruises, a luxury cruise operator, announced that it will offer an opportunity to take a trip to view the environmental devastation at the Arctic region and would set sail from Aug 16 to Sept 17, 2016. The cruise will be a "once-in-a lifetime" trip from the Canadian Arctic to Greenland, which is now made accessible only because of the rapid melting of the polar ice.
REUTERS/ Alessandro Bianchi
People watch the cruise liner Costa Concordia moving anticlockwise during the refloat operation maneuvers at Giglio Island July 23, 2014.
Described as "environmental disaster tourism" by Popular Science, the trip, costing between $20, 000 and $44,000, uses transport that releases three times more carbon dioxide for every passenger every mile in comparison to a jumbo jet.
It is being estimated that about 1,000 passengers will board the cruise, 68,000-ton and with 13 decks, on the 32-day trip from Alaska to New York City, in which they will get to see seals, whales, walruses and musk-ox. Crystal Cruise makes no promise of a glimpse of the polar bear, famous in the Arctic region. It is being said that 14 experts will be accompanying the passengers to provide information about the climate change in the environment at the Arctic.
Social media users have criticised the promotion for giving the public the opportunity to see the environmental devastation. The users feel that by watching the site which is being destroyed due to global warming, one becomes a human vulture.
Thomas Mazloum, company executive of Crystal Cruises, has said that the time is right for Crystal to open the gates of the travel industry to the Arctic as they have been doing in the past 25 years.
The tab "Environmental" on Crystal Cruises' FAQ on its Web site mentioned that the ship and the escort vessel will be using a low sulphur fuel, Marine Gas Oil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch