'Hobbit House' To Be Demolished, Unsuitable To Countryside
By Tanya Diente | July 30, 2014 1:23 PM EST
A real-life hobbit house in Crymych, West Wales, built from natural materials will unfortunately be demolished after councilors deemed it was unsuitable to the countryside's impact on sustainable development.
Married couples Charlie Hague and Megan Williams built the eco-friendly "Hobbit House" called "Glandwr" in 2012 on a private land owned by Mr. Hague's parents. According to Telegraph UK, the couple moved in to the house on Pembrokeshire hills because they wanted to live "an older and simpler way of life." However, the house became a controversial topic among councilors in Crymych since it was built even after they declined the couple's application for retrospective planning permission.
A total of 100,000 supporters from around the world reportedly signed a petition to save the house from demolition. However, BBC reported that on Tuesday, planning officers ruled out the petition. Councilors also voted nine to four to finally have the house torn down.
The officers' report claimed the "Hobbit House" gives the wrong impression on the countryside's sustainable livelihood.
"Despite its relatively low visual impact it erodes the rural character of its surroundings and represents an unsustainable form of development," the report said. Additionally, planning officers claimed the house was built as an "unjustified residential development in the countryside."
Megan Williams reportedly appealed to the ruling committee with claims that the house is backed up by the "One Planet Development Policy (ODP) in Wales. According to Telegraph UK the ODP was created to inspire sustainable development. But her appeal was also denied.
Charlie Hague said they "were heartbroken" by the councilors decision to demolish the "Hobbit House" where the couple and their two-year old son live.
"We built this house to provide our son with a healthy environment to grow up in," he said.
The couple decided to build the "Hobbit House" since they claimed they couldn't afford to live in residential homes. They used to live in a mobile home but Megan claimed they prefer living in "Glandwr." She said a lot of effort from friends and family were put into building the house since they wanted to learn how to build an eco-friendly house.
The house on Pembrokeshire hills reportedly became popular because of its resemblance to the cottages featured in the highly-watched US movie "Lord of the Rings." Thus it was dubbed "Hobbit House."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS