Eric Bledsoe and Phoenix Suns Still “Very Far Apart” on Contract Extension
By James Patrick Quizon | July 30, 2014 11:28 AM EST
The best free agent in the market is still left unsigned owing to failed negotiations between Eric Bledsoe and the Phoenix Suns. And the situation could get real ugly for both sides if they continue their standoff.
NBA: Phoenix Suns at Toronto Raptors
Bledsoe and the Suns are reportedly “very far apart” in contract negotiations and the relationship between the two is “on the verge of being irreparable” according to a report from CSSNW.COM.
Bledsoe fired the first bullet last Saturday accusing the Suns franchise of “using restricted free agency” against him.
“First off I’m going to let my agent handle it,” Bledsoe said, while attending a “Ball Up” street ball tournament in Birmingham. “I can understand the Phoenix Suns are using restricted free agency against me. But I understand that,” Bledsoe said via WVTM Birmingham.
As a restricted free agent or RFA, Bledsoe can actually sign with any other NBA team but the Phoenix Suns have the right of first refusal and choose to match the offered contract and retain his services. As such, teams are scared of chasing and signing the combo guard.
Phoenix initial offer was a four-year $48 million deal that will pay Bledsoe roughly $12M per year. However, Bledsoe’s camp is demanding the maximum deal that will cost the Suns nearly $80M over 5 years or about $15 per year.
The Suns’ offer appears to be the right value for Bledsoe, who has struggled with injury problems since he joined the league in 2010. To compare other point guards in the line-up are Goran Dragic ($7.5M/year) and the newly-acquired Isaiah Thomas ($7.23M/year).
Bledsoe had his best year as a pro in 2013-2014 with averages of 17.7 points, 4.7 rebounds and 5.5 assists although he missed 39 of 82 games of the regular season.
Will the Phoenix Suns and Eric Bledsoe finally agree to a middle ground in this offseason? Or will another team swoop in and take advantage of the negotiation standoff on Arizona?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS