Julia Gillard Admits to a Controversial Deed
By Athena Yenko | July 30, 2014 10:02 AM EST
On Tuesday, the first woman prime minister of Australia, Julia Gillard, admitted to a controversial deed that put former climate change minister's memoirs, The Fights of My Life, in the headlines before its official launch.
During the promotion of Greg Combet's book, he revealed that he had turn down an offer from Gillard to take over as Labor leader and eventually run for prime minister. This revelation became controversial that his book made it to the news before its official launching on Tuesday.
During the launch of Combet's book, Gillard admitted that, indeed, he asked for Combet to head the party in June 2013 as it became clear to her that her leadership "was very likely to come to an early end".
Speaking during the book launch, Gillard confessed that as early as June of 2013, she knew that her leadership will not last until the September election.
"There came a time when it was clear to me that my leadership was very likely to come to an early end. My belief that the nation and my political party should be led by a person of good values and a clear sense of purpose remains strong...my view was that the best person at that time was Greg Combet," Gillard said.
She said that she wanted to see Combet turn a page to his life as a Labor leader, but that it was not just meant to be.
She however acknowledged that even if it was Combet whom she offered the position, Bill Shorten, as the Labor leader at present is "taking his remarkable talents and fierce passion into the fight for fairness and a better future."
Combet's memoir is co-written by journalist Mark Davis. It dwells with Combet's time as head of the ACTU and his years in the parliament.
In the memoir, Combet divulged his yearning to retire from the parliament that coincided with Gillard's offer. He said that he was battling a cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis at the time of the offer and the amount of physical pain suffering added up to the distress of working through Labor's second term.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports