Microsoft Surface 3 (10.6-Inch) Tablet to Touchdown in October as Surface Pro 3 Set for Global Release
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 30, 2014 9:34 AM EST
Microsoft launched the much-anticipated 12-inch Surface Pro 3 tablet in May. The tablet saw a limited release in June but it is now set for global release. However, according to new reports, the company is planning to launch a brand new 10.6-inch Surface variant. Furthermore, the unannounced tablet will be launched in October.
A shadow of a man using his mobile phone is cast near Microsoft logo at the 2014 Computex exhibition in Taipei June 4, 2014. Computex, the world's second largest computer show, runs from June 3 to 7.
This interesting news comes from a Taiwan-based supply chain partner picked up by DigiTimes. According to the aforementioned source the brand new 10.6-inch Surface tablet will be in production starting August. In specific, the production of the device components would start in August, while the mass production of the device as a whole would commence in September.
In addition, the 10.6-inch variant will reportedly be thinner and lighter than the 12-inch Surface Pro 3 tablet. Also, Microsoft will be banking on the upcoming device for better sales and performance when compared to other devices released this year.
It is worth noting that the 2013 Surface 2 was launched in October. Hence, Phone Arena opines that this 10.6-inch tablet could be the upcoming Surface 3. If reports are true, Taiwan-based Pegatron will be the only device manufacturer for the upcoming Surface line of tablets.
Furthermore, the 2013 Surface 2 tablet runs on Windows RT 8.1 OS. Hence if the aforementioned device is indeed third-generation Surface 3 tablet, then the 10.6-inch device would run on Windows RT OS.
As a refresher, the Surface 2 features a 10.6-inch TFT display with 1,920 x 1,080 pixels screen resolution and 208 ppi pixel density. The tablet is 0.35-inch thick and weighs 675.9 g.
The device is powered by a quad-core (Nvidia Tegra 4 T40) Cortex-A15 processor clocked at 1.7 GHz and it runs on Microsoft Windows 8.1 RT OS. The Surface 2 houses 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB or 64 GB of internal storage capacity. In addition, the device supports microSD card for expansion up to 64 GB.
When it comes to camera, the tablet sports a 5 MP rear-facing camera unit with LED flash and a 3.5 MP front-facing shooter. Apart from supporting standard connectivity options like Wi-Fi, USB v3.0 and Bluetooth v4.0, the device also supports 4G LTE. Although Microsoft did not reveal the battery specification, this tablet provides up to 10 hours charge. Moreover, the Surface 2 also houses a built-in two-stage kickstand.
1. Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One-Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown - [Read]
3. Motorola Moto X+1 Killer Images Leaked With Wooden Rear Panel, Plastic Logo, Dual LED Flash, No microSD Slot - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes