Boxing News 2014: Expert Foresees Pacquiao Win Over Algieri on Nov 22, Possibly by Knock Down
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 30, 2014 9:32 AM EST
The Nov 22 bout between Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao and new WBO junior lightweight title holder Chris Algieri would be radically different from Pacman's previous fights, said boxing writer Wilmer Patino of BoxingNews24.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
In his pre-fight analysis, Patino noted that while Algieri has good boxing skills, it is not considered great. Among the 30-year-old boxer's outstanding traits are his discipline, being cool and sticking with the game plan, although he could also make some adjustment as the bout progresses.
Another plus factor is his master's degree in nutrition which provides him with knowledge about how to feed his body to prepare for a fight. But his weakness includes lack of experience as a professional fighter with only 20 bouts under his belt.
As for the 35-year-old Pacquiao, Patino pointed to his being known as a quick in and out fighter and powerful punch. However, the expert also acknowledged that the Filipino southpaw has changed partly due to ageing.
But this does not diminish the fact that he is still a top fighter with his defeat of Timothy Bradley as evidence. He could definitely use his speed, mobility, power and experience to his advantage as well as overcome his height disadvantage versus Algiere. Pacquiao is only 5' 6", while Algiere is 5' 11".
For his fearless forecast, Patino wrote that Pacquiao will likely have the advantage in the initial rounds because of his speed, but Algieri would throw some jabs to trouble his opponent. But the congressman would block most of them, although some could get through.
Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum, in an interview with Philboxing.com, has acknowledged that "It is not an easy fight. Algieri moves very well."
He believes Pacquiao will use his 3-punch combination on Algieri's body early in the match and then aim for the head. By the middle rounds, Algiere would be able to adjust to Pacquiao's style and possibly land some punches on Pacman's face.
In the end, experience and ring generalship would reign and the judges would likely favour Pacquiao with a unanimous decision, although there is a chance it could be a split decision.
Patino didn't rule out a knock down which would secure his victory, but it wouldn't finish off Algieri.
Chris Williams, another boxing expert from Boxing News 24, warned that if Pacquiao would lose the fight, it would be an indicator for him to retire.
Here are the thoughts of Argentinean boxer on the Nov 22 bout of Pacquiao and Algieri.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?