Boxing News 2014: Expert Foresees Pacquiao Win Over Algieri on Nov 22, Possibly by Knock Down
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 30, 2014 9:32 AM EST
The Nov 22 bout between Filipino champion Manny Pacquiao and new WBO junior lightweight title holder Chris Algieri would be radically different from Pacman's previous fights, said boxing writer Wilmer Patino of BoxingNews24.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
In his pre-fight analysis, Patino noted that while Algieri has good boxing skills, it is not considered great. Among the 30-year-old boxer's outstanding traits are his discipline, being cool and sticking with the game plan, although he could also make some adjustment as the bout progresses.
Another plus factor is his master's degree in nutrition which provides him with knowledge about how to feed his body to prepare for a fight. But his weakness includes lack of experience as a professional fighter with only 20 bouts under his belt.
As for the 35-year-old Pacquiao, Patino pointed to his being known as a quick in and out fighter and powerful punch. However, the expert also acknowledged that the Filipino southpaw has changed partly due to ageing.
But this does not diminish the fact that he is still a top fighter with his defeat of Timothy Bradley as evidence. He could definitely use his speed, mobility, power and experience to his advantage as well as overcome his height disadvantage versus Algiere. Pacquiao is only 5' 6", while Algiere is 5' 11".
For his fearless forecast, Patino wrote that Pacquiao will likely have the advantage in the initial rounds because of his speed, but Algieri would throw some jabs to trouble his opponent. But the congressman would block most of them, although some could get through.
Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum, in an interview with Philboxing.com, has acknowledged that "It is not an easy fight. Algieri moves very well."
He believes Pacquiao will use his 3-punch combination on Algieri's body early in the match and then aim for the head. By the middle rounds, Algiere would be able to adjust to Pacquiao's style and possibly land some punches on Pacman's face.
In the end, experience and ring generalship would reign and the judges would likely favour Pacquiao with a unanimous decision, although there is a chance it could be a split decision.
Patino didn't rule out a knock down which would secure his victory, but it wouldn't finish off Algieri.
Chris Williams, another boxing expert from Boxing News 24, warned that if Pacquiao would lose the fight, it would be an indicator for him to retire.
Here are the thoughts of Argentinean boxer on the Nov 22 bout of Pacquiao and Algieri.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]