Microsoft Updates Nokia X, Nokia X+ and Nokia XL With App Switcher, Outlook, OneDrive & OneNote
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 30, 2014 9:31 AM EST
Microsoft has rolled out a software update to Nokia X line of smartphones starting June 28. Users with Nokia X, Nokia X+ or Nokia XL handsets will see a new app switcher upon getting the new over-the-air (OTA) update, along with other changes/improvements.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella gestures as he speaks at the company's "build" conference in San Francisco in this file photo taken April 2, 2014. Microsoft Corp's new Chief Executive Satya Nadella likes to boast that Bing is growing and powers 30 percent of the Internet search market, making it a worthy competitor to Google Inc.
However, the Nokia X Platform 2.0 is not part of this software update. Also GSM Arena opines that the Nokia X Platform 2.0 update might never reach the users. Owing to the fact that, Microsoft executive Stephen Elop announced in a press conference last week that the Nokia X project that created Microsoft's Android smartphones will be discontinued for good. Furthermore, the designs and the products pertaining to the Nokia X project will be shifted to the Windows Phone project.
In order to access the new app switcher, users with the installed update should swipe down on the main screen and click the button in the notification area. In addition, apps can directly be closed from the app switcher by clicking on the "x" icon below the apps, says Nokia.
Furthermore, many of Microsoft services are being introduced in the Nokia X phones. This includes Outlook, OneDrive and OneNote. These services are part of the current software update. Also, users will now be able to add multiple Outlook accounts and can also get push notifications. In addition, contacts and calendar can now be synchronized. Furthermore, users can sync a total of 500 OneNotes with the Nokia X series handset.
In case, Nokia X users do not have the Nokia Store update installed already, this new software update will take care of everything in the new package. Also, Nokia X users will have the ability to integrate third-party app stores to install all apps from a single point. The update also comes bundled with a new Spotlight widget that helps in promoting app discovery.
To get this update: Navigate to phone Settings -> About phone -> System updates -> Check, if the Nokia X Platform update is made available to the particular region.
1. Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One-Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown - [Read]
3. Motorola Moto X+1 Killer Images Leaked With Wooden Rear Panel, Plastic Logo, Dual LED Flash, No microSD Slot - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan