Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 30, 2014
By James Craig, CommSec Chief Economist | July 30, 2014 8:55 AM EST
* Major currencies were softer against the US dollar on Tuesday ahead of the Federal Reserve decision. The Euro fell from highs near US$1.3445 to US$1.3405, before ending US trade near US$1.3410. The Aussie dollar fell from highs near US94.05c to lows near US93.75c before ending the US session near US93.80c. And the Japanese yen eased from 101.85 yen per US dollar to JPY102.15, ending US trade near JPY102.10.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
* World oil prices were mixed on Tuesday. Brent crude rose by US15c or 0.1% to US$107.72 a barrel as investors became more confident that European sanctions against Russia won't dent oil demand. But the US Nymex price fell by US70 cents a barrel to US$100.97 a barrel after a refinery fire in Kansas reduced demand for West Texas crude.
* Base metal prices fell by up to 1.9% on Tuesday with zinc posting the biggest decline. But tin bucked the trend, up by 1.1%. Gold prices eased on Tuesday in response to a mildly firmer greenback with the Comex gold futures price down by US$5.00 an ounce to US$1,298.30 per ounce. Iron ore rose by US$1.00 a tonne to US$94.30 a tonne.
Ahead: In Australia, no major economic data is expected.
Woolworths is scheduled to release quarterly sales figures. In the
US, the Federal Reserve hands down its monetary policy decision.
Data on economic growth (GDP) is released together with the ADP
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Environment Ministry OKs $2.2B North Galilee Basin Rail Project On 23 Conditions
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate