Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 30, 2014
By James Craig, CommSec Chief Economist | July 30, 2014 8:55 AM EST
* Major currencies were softer against the US dollar on Tuesday ahead of the Federal Reserve decision. The Euro fell from highs near US$1.3445 to US$1.3405, before ending US trade near US$1.3410. The Aussie dollar fell from highs near US94.05c to lows near US93.75c before ending the US session near US93.80c. And the Japanese yen eased from 101.85 yen per US dollar to JPY102.15, ending US trade near JPY102.10.
Four thousand U.S. dollars are counted out by a banker counting currency at a bank in Westminster, Colorado November 3, 2009.
* World oil prices were mixed on Tuesday. Brent crude rose by US15c or 0.1% to US$107.72 a barrel as investors became more confident that European sanctions against Russia won't dent oil demand. But the US Nymex price fell by US70 cents a barrel to US$100.97 a barrel after a refinery fire in Kansas reduced demand for West Texas crude.
* Base metal prices fell by up to 1.9% on Tuesday with zinc posting the biggest decline. But tin bucked the trend, up by 1.1%. Gold prices eased on Tuesday in response to a mildly firmer greenback with the Comex gold futures price down by US$5.00 an ounce to US$1,298.30 per ounce. Iron ore rose by US$1.00 a tonne to US$94.30 a tonne.
Ahead: In Australia, no major economic data is expected.
Woolworths is scheduled to release quarterly sales figures. In the
US, the Federal Reserve hands down its monetary policy decision.
Data on economic growth (GDP) is released together with the ADP
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage