Serena Williams Bedridden For 3 Days After Wimbledon Championships Incident
By Lou Imperial | July 30, 2014 8:46 AM EST
Serena Williams spoke for the first time her experience after her unlikely exit at the Wimbledon Open, revealing to the press on Monday that she got bedridden for three days after that worrisome incident on the fabled lawn of All-England tennis club.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Williams, the reigning world's no.1 player on the WTA Tour, scared everybody several weeks ago when she was forced to withdraw from her doubles match with her sister, Venus Williams, due to stomach virus.
The former Wimbledon Open winner was earlier booted out in the third round in women's singles competition, but her fans got even more concerned after seeing Williams struggling to dribble the ball and serve it into the opponents' court.
The 32-year old Williams took some off from the tennis court for several days, and during her absence, there are speculations surrounding Serena's health status - including a rumor about her pregnancy.
However, she immediately squashed all of these speculations when she flaunted her bikini body during her vacation in Croatia.
"I heard a lot of the response weeks and weeks later because I didn't leave my house or my bed for a few days," Williams told the Press via the Telegraph on Tuesday.
"But by the time that happened when I read or heard about it from other people I was just like, 'Oh really, I already moved on.' I was working out and starting to try to play again."
Williams admitted she got scared by what she recently experience, but she nevertheless promised to return strong on the court.
"I feel very good, I feel very happy to be here, so it's good," said Williams, who will make her first North American hard-court season appearance in a WTA tournament at Stanford University.
Williams, who has already reached 75 consecutive weeks on top of the WTA world ranking, has a chance to break more records in the upcoming weeks. The 17-time Grand Slam winner has already beaten Martina Hingis (73 straight weeks) for the 9th spot in that category and is very much in position to surpass women's tennis legends Chris Evert (76 weeks) and another Hingis' record of 80 straight weeks.
"And with a healthy points lead over World No.2 Li Na, in the coming months Williams could pass several more players on the list of consecutive weeks at No.1," WTA released last week.
Williams said she will undergo further medical test to make sure she's in fine condition going into the tough grind at the US Open championship, where's she's the defending champion.
For more Serena Williams news and Tennis updates, read more at IBT Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown