Arrest Warrant Out for 2 Australian Jihadists Involved in Posting Decapitated Heads Photo, Fighting With ISIL
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 30, 2014 8:18 AM EST
The Australian federal police have issued warrants of arrest for two Aussie jihadists accused of fighting with the Islamic States. The two, Khaled Sharrouf and Mohamed Elomar, were also behind the posting of a viral photo in Twitter showing Elomar holding two decapitated heads.
Robert Cerantonio (R), an Australian national and a Muslim convert, is escorted by police intelligence upon arrival at the domestic airport in Manila July 11, 2014. The Philippines on Friday arrested an Australian national with suspected links to foreign Islamist militants after he urged Philippine Muslims on social media sites to support conflicts in Iraq and Syria, recruiting them to go to the Middle East. The arrest is the first known link between Islamist militants in the southeast Asian nation and foreign jihadists supporting conflicts in the Middle East. Philippine Muslims took part in conflict in Afghanistan in the 1980s. REUTERS/Stringer (PHILIPPINES - Tags: POLITICS RELIGION CRIME LAW)
Their threat to kill Australian soldiers and non-Muslims is being taken seriously by local authorities since the photo of the chopped heads is strong evidence to believe they are capable of really committing such heinous crimes. It prompted Attorney-General George Brandis to call the duo the biggest threat to national security.
He said the two have been promoting violent crimes and war crimes. While the Australian Federal Police said they want to arrest the pair upon their arrival in Australia, Sharrouf and Elomar told a friend that they have no plans of returning because they are living better lives now.
Brandis said the two probably left Australia in 2013 to fight in Syria and then moved to Iraq.
Elomar's wife, Fatima, is cnarged with supporting terrorists. Her lawyer, Zali Burrows, doubts if the Twitter images are real since she believes it has been Photoshopped.
The pair is just two of the more than 100 Australians believed to have left the country to join separatist groups in the Middle East. ASIO said the state is now one of the most deadly and active terrorist organisations in the world.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Satanic Sex Cult Has 1800 Men Having Sex With A Teen
- Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
- Mass Rapes In Iraq & Syria As Islamic State Seeks To Populate Caliphate; Male Muslim Recruits Also Sodomised
- Expect More Beheadings As Islamic State Urges Jihadists To Kill By Any Means Possible Australians & Other Citizens Of Nations Who Enter Into Coalition Against IS
- 5 Famous People Who've Spent Time In Jail
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed