Miss World Australia: Queenslander Stephanie Campbell Slams Pageant on Facebook After Quitting
By Anne Lu | July 30, 2014 2:22 AM EST
Miss World Australia pageant was “abusive and disrespectful” to women, according to Queensland contestant Stephanie Campbell. The 24-year-old beauty wrote and deleted a post on her Facebook page, explaining why she withdrew just one day before the competition proper on Sunday.
Before fellow Queenslander Courtney Thorpe nabbed the crown on Sunday night, Campbell was able to steal the limelight by withdrawing from the pageant and throwing shade at the organisation.
“I decided to remove myself from Miss World Australia yesterday lunchtime (Saturday),” Campbell wrote. “Good luck to the girls who still think the title has value and are competing for it at the crowning event tonight. May the odds be ever in their favour.
“I only support organisations I believe in,” she continued, adding, “I do not condone abusive and disrespectful treatment of women.”
Her Facebook account has since been deactivated.
Her tone appeared more restrained a couple of days later, though, telling Fairfax Media that she pulled out from the competition when she “became fully aware of what being Miss World Australia would involve.”
“I just decided it wasn’t for me and I’m pursuing other things,” she said. “The issue was never with the girls and I did wish Courtney all the best.”
Thorpe also claimed to the Daily Mail Australia that Campbell withdrew because she was concerned her skydiving accident earlier this year would prevent her from meeting all the requirements of the crown.
On March 16, Campbell’s parachute collapsed during skydiving. She crash landed with such force that she broke her bones in her back and her right wrist. She broke six ribs, punctured both her lungs and suffered serious concussion.
She had to learn how to walk again after the accident.
She said that even without the benefit of wearing the Miss World Australia crown, she would continue to raise funds and awareness for the organisation Centre for Healthy Brain Ageing.
Campbell, who is studying a journalism masters, would also complete her studies and pursue a career.
Thorpe, on the other hand, will be representing the country at the Miss World International pageant in London later in 2014, hoping to beat other participants from over 130 countries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS