Lorde Encourages the Youth to be Her Voice in NZ Election [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | July 29, 2014 5:30 PM EST
At 17, Lorde isn’t allowed to vote yet in her home country of New Zealand, but the Grammy Award-winning international star still wants her voice heard. She has teamed up with the Electoral Commission to urge the youth to vote.
Lorde performs during the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill
The general election in New Zealand is on September 20, and to combat low youth voting rates, the commission has enlisted the help of the country’s most famous teen.
Lorde appears in two videos for the commission, asking her fellow youngsters to vote.
“I know often politics could look like a bunch of old people talking about stuff that isn’t relevant to us,” the “Tennis Court” singer said. “But I think young people are creative. I think young people have the kinds of ideas that older than us just can’t have.
“And for us to be represented by a demographic that doesn’t really understand us... I think all these issues are too important for us not to be thinking about, for us not to be representing our peers.”
She implored her fellow youth to be a voice since she still can’t use hers.
“Right now I don’t have a voice, that’s why I need you to use yours in this election.”
Lorde didn’t appear to just be reading a cue card in front of the camera; she looked really excited as she encouraged viewers to take part in the election.
“And I know... I don’t know how to say this, it’s a hard one!” a keyed up Lorde said.
Watch the videos here:
It’s not the first time Lorde has spoken highly of her peers.
“Having the world weighing in on you from all sorts of different perspectives is intense, but the criticism I listen to most is what comes from people the same age as me,” she told the Guardian in an interview earlier in July.
“They’re the only people I care about liking my music.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy