Lorde Encourages the Youth to be Her Voice in NZ Election [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | July 29, 2014 5:30 PM EST
At 17, Lorde isn’t allowed to vote yet in her home country of New Zealand, but the Grammy Award-winning international star still wants her voice heard. She has teamed up with the Electoral Commission to urge the youth to vote.
Lorde performs during the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill
The general election in New Zealand is on September 20, and to combat low youth voting rates, the commission has enlisted the help of the country’s most famous teen.
Lorde appears in two videos for the commission, asking her fellow youngsters to vote.
“I know often politics could look like a bunch of old people talking about stuff that isn’t relevant to us,” the “Tennis Court” singer said. “But I think young people are creative. I think young people have the kinds of ideas that older than us just can’t have.
“And for us to be represented by a demographic that doesn’t really understand us... I think all these issues are too important for us not to be thinking about, for us not to be representing our peers.”
She implored her fellow youth to be a voice since she still can’t use hers.
“Right now I don’t have a voice, that’s why I need you to use yours in this election.”
Lorde didn’t appear to just be reading a cue card in front of the camera; she looked really excited as she encouraged viewers to take part in the election.
“And I know... I don’t know how to say this, it’s a hard one!” a keyed up Lorde said.
Watch the videos here:
It’s not the first time Lorde has spoken highly of her peers.
“Having the world weighing in on you from all sorts of different perspectives is intense, but the criticism I listen to most is what comes from people the same age as me,” she told the Guardian in an interview earlier in July.
“They’re the only people I care about liking my music.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions