Lorde Encourages the Youth to be Her Voice in NZ Election [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | July 29, 2014 5:30 PM EST
At 17, Lorde isn’t allowed to vote yet in her home country of New Zealand, but the Grammy Award-winning international star still wants her voice heard. She has teamed up with the Electoral Commission to urge the youth to vote.
Lorde performs during the MuchMusic Video Awards (MMVA) in Toronto, June 15, 2014. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill
The general election in New Zealand is on September 20, and to combat low youth voting rates, the commission has enlisted the help of the country’s most famous teen.
Lorde appears in two videos for the commission, asking her fellow youngsters to vote.
“I know often politics could look like a bunch of old people talking about stuff that isn’t relevant to us,” the “Tennis Court” singer said. “But I think young people are creative. I think young people have the kinds of ideas that older than us just can’t have.
“And for us to be represented by a demographic that doesn’t really understand us... I think all these issues are too important for us not to be thinking about, for us not to be representing our peers.”
She implored her fellow youth to be a voice since she still can’t use hers.
“Right now I don’t have a voice, that’s why I need you to use yours in this election.”
Lorde didn’t appear to just be reading a cue card in front of the camera; she looked really excited as she encouraged viewers to take part in the election.
“And I know... I don’t know how to say this, it’s a hard one!” a keyed up Lorde said.
Watch the videos here:
It’s not the first time Lorde has spoken highly of her peers.
“Having the world weighing in on you from all sorts of different perspectives is intense, but the criticism I listen to most is what comes from people the same age as me,” she told the Guardian in an interview earlier in July.
“They’re the only people I care about liking my music.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate