Serena Williams Shows Six-Pack, World No. 1 Ready to Play Again After Wimbledon Withdrawal
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 29, 2014 4:41 PM EST
After a surprising, disappointing exit from the 2014 Wimbledon Championship, Serena Williams is looking forward to this week's Bank of West Classic in Stanford. She also showed fans that she is looking fighting fit with her six-pack abs and ready for a bounce back performance on American soil.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Serena Williams, the world no. 1, is a two-time champion at the California event, which she will use as a warm-up tournament for the 2014 US Open, beginning this August 25.
Serena Williams wasn't her usual self at Wimbledon and was required to withdraw from the doubles with her sister Venus Williams after what was said as a viral illness.
For now, it was said in her first public comments since her exit from Wimbledon that the tennis superstar still plans to undertake extra medical testing and would not compete under same conditions again.
"Now I know better if I'm feeling bad I'm not going to step on the court," Serena Williams was quoted by USA Today.
Serena Williams said that the viral illness that affected her made her bedridden for three days and was advised by the doctors not to travel.
On the other hand, Serena Williams' sister Venus Williams also suffers from the energy-sapping autoimmune disease Sjogren's syndrome. Serena Williams said that she would undergo more tests after season "for things that do run in the family" but couldn't give a more specific diagnosis.
She said she didn't stop playing at Wimbledon in spite of trying to make contact with the ball because she is a fighter who doesn't like to disappoint.
Serena Williams will soon turn to 33 in just less than two months, and having all those missed chances appears like another number is removed. The tennis superstar already experienced the peak of her career and an entire year without winning a major championship fuels rumours of retirement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe