Serena Williams Shows Six-Pack, World No. 1 Ready to Play Again After Wimbledon Withdrawal
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | July 29, 2014 4:41 PM EST
After a surprising, disappointing exit from the 2014 Wimbledon Championship, Serena Williams is looking forward to this week's Bank of West Classic in Stanford. She also showed fans that she is looking fighting fit with her six-pack abs and ready for a bounce back performance on American soil.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Serena Williams, the world no. 1, is a two-time champion at the California event, which she will use as a warm-up tournament for the 2014 US Open, beginning this August 25.
Serena Williams wasn't her usual self at Wimbledon and was required to withdraw from the doubles with her sister Venus Williams after what was said as a viral illness.
For now, it was said in her first public comments since her exit from Wimbledon that the tennis superstar still plans to undertake extra medical testing and would not compete under same conditions again.
"Now I know better if I'm feeling bad I'm not going to step on the court," Serena Williams was quoted by USA Today.
Serena Williams said that the viral illness that affected her made her bedridden for three days and was advised by the doctors not to travel.
On the other hand, Serena Williams' sister Venus Williams also suffers from the energy-sapping autoimmune disease Sjogren's syndrome. Serena Williams said that she would undergo more tests after season "for things that do run in the family" but couldn't give a more specific diagnosis.
She said she didn't stop playing at Wimbledon in spite of trying to make contact with the ball because she is a fighter who doesn't like to disappoint.
Serena Williams will soon turn to 33 in just less than two months, and having all those missed chances appears like another number is removed. The tennis superstar already experienced the peak of her career and an entire year without winning a major championship fuels rumours of retirement.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide