Doctor Strange Casting Update: Benedict Cumberbatch on the Role; Joaquin Phoenix ‘in Negotiations’ for the Role -- Report
By jaskiran kaur | July 29, 2014 4:25 PM EST
Scott Derrickson's "Doctor Strange" is one of the most highly anticipated Marvel movies expected to release in 2016. The comic book character is soon going to become a part of Marvel Cinematic Universe. Ever since Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige made the announcement, fans have been eager to know who would portray the role of the brilliant yet quirky doctor.
Doctor Strange is one of many new Marvel characters that are being introduced in Phase 3 of Marvel Cinematic Universe. Besides Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Vision and Scarlet Witch are some of those new characters to be soon introduced on big screens.
Multiple casting rumours related to Doctor Strange's movie adaptation are swirling around. Many media outlets and fans speculated that "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch would portray the character. The news spread like wildfire. However, MTV took the onus of finding the truth and spoke the star himself.
Benedict Cumberbatch recently attended San Diego Comic Con 2014 where the actor was promoting his recent film "Penguins of Madagascar."
As far as I'm aware, even if that was the case, it couldn't work out because I'm doing a little play called 'Hamlet' in London," Benedict Cumberbatch told the publication while addressing the rumour at SDCC.
"So I don't think I could even if that was in the cards. It sounds like a fantastic project. It's a shame if I miss out, but who knows? I couldn't possibly comment," "Sherlock" star Benedict Cumberbatch added.
Meanwhile, the latest report suggests "Gladiator" actor Joaquin Phoenix is being considered for the role of Doctor Strange. The Hollywood Reporter reports that Oscar-nominated actor "is in negotiations to star in Marvel Studios' 'Doctor Strange.'" The source tells the publication that the "deal is further along than just the offer stage." However, it remains unconfirmed if the Joaquin Phoenix "will accept the role." IndieWire notes that Joaquin Phoenix has been spotted purchasing the comics that feature the character.
Fans know that Doctor Strange is a former neurosurgeon, who later assumed the role of Sorcerer Supreme. His sole aim is to protect Earth from wizardly and occult threats. Sound off your opinion and let us know who among Benedict Cumberbatch or Joaquin Phoenix would fit the role better. Who would you like to see as Doctor Strange?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions