Samsung Galaxy Alpha Confirmed with 720p Screen; Updates on the Tizen Smartphone Release
By Gel Galang | July 29, 2014 2:48 PM EST
With all the rumours, speculations and leaked images for the Samsung Galaxy Alpha, it's almost hard to keep track of what exactly the device will be offering to the table.
An employee of Samsung Electronics walks past the company main office in Seoul in this April 6, 2010 file photo. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is emerging as a major player in its local debt market, buying more South Korean-issued bonds as it juggles a $60 billion cash pile. Samsung's push into private bank debt and government bonds underscores the challenges faced by the electronics giant in managing its massive cash holdings, with local banks reluctant to overload on short-term deposits from Samsung.
Previously thought to be the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime or the Galaxy F, smartphones that are supposedly slated to feature a metal body to bring up Samsung's phones to a more premium level, the Samsung Galaxy Alpha has even been thought to be just another smartphone in line for the South Korean company.
While the latest rumour had been that the Samsung Galaxy Alpha is actually more of a mid-range rather than a premium smartphone, the latest rumour seems to be going along with this particular train of thought.
SamMobile has found another source that supports this latest possibility, wherein a developer for Samsung has allegedly confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy Alpha will be sporting a 720p display.
This new information hails from the developer console from Samsung, assuring that the Galaxy Alpha may be a line of device of its own, instead of offering the high-end and premium version of the flagship Samsung Galaxy S5. The source reiterates this, stating that the device will be launching as "Samsung Galaxy" instead of "Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha," which could suggest a premium flavour.
This does not mean that a metallic frame is no longer in order, but the use of faux leather as a back cover instead of an all-metal frame is more plausible. The source points yet again to a possible August unveiling, which should not be too long from now.
Release of Tizen Smartphone from Samsung Delayed
It looks like the Tizen phone from Samsung will be looking at a delay for its plans in Russia, with the main reason pegged to be the need for the brand to develop a more extensive app base.
According to CTV News, the "ecosystem" of Tizen needs to be developed even more before it can be launched, and the postponement is designed to do just this. The delay does seem to be indefinite at best, as Samsung has not yet announced a new release date, but this could mean that there is a lack of support for the Tizen brand from app developers in the meantime.
Samsung has been very reliant on the Google Play Store for its devices' app needs, and given the user base that Google already has, it seems that its plan to slowly breakaway from this OS is not as effective or fast enough as planned.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles