Samsung Galaxy Alpha Confirmed with 720p Screen; Updates on the Tizen Smartphone Release
By Gel Galang | July 29, 2014 2:48 PM EST
With all the rumours, speculations and leaked images for the Samsung Galaxy Alpha, it's almost hard to keep track of what exactly the device will be offering to the table.
An employee of Samsung Electronics walks past the company main office in Seoul in this April 6, 2010 file photo. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is emerging as a major player in its local debt market, buying more South Korean-issued bonds as it juggles a $60 billion cash pile. Samsung's push into private bank debt and government bonds underscores the challenges faced by the electronics giant in managing its massive cash holdings, with local banks reluctant to overload on short-term deposits from Samsung.
Previously thought to be the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime or the Galaxy F, smartphones that are supposedly slated to feature a metal body to bring up Samsung's phones to a more premium level, the Samsung Galaxy Alpha has even been thought to be just another smartphone in line for the South Korean company.
While the latest rumour had been that the Samsung Galaxy Alpha is actually more of a mid-range rather than a premium smartphone, the latest rumour seems to be going along with this particular train of thought.
SamMobile has found another source that supports this latest possibility, wherein a developer for Samsung has allegedly confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy Alpha will be sporting a 720p display.
This new information hails from the developer console from Samsung, assuring that the Galaxy Alpha may be a line of device of its own, instead of offering the high-end and premium version of the flagship Samsung Galaxy S5. The source reiterates this, stating that the device will be launching as "Samsung Galaxy" instead of "Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha," which could suggest a premium flavour.
This does not mean that a metallic frame is no longer in order, but the use of faux leather as a back cover instead of an all-metal frame is more plausible. The source points yet again to a possible August unveiling, which should not be too long from now.
Release of Tizen Smartphone from Samsung Delayed
It looks like the Tizen phone from Samsung will be looking at a delay for its plans in Russia, with the main reason pegged to be the need for the brand to develop a more extensive app base.
According to CTV News, the "ecosystem" of Tizen needs to be developed even more before it can be launched, and the postponement is designed to do just this. The delay does seem to be indefinite at best, as Samsung has not yet announced a new release date, but this could mean that there is a lack of support for the Tizen brand from app developers in the meantime.
Samsung has been very reliant on the Google Play Store for its devices' app needs, and given the user base that Google already has, it seems that its plan to slowly breakaway from this OS is not as effective or fast enough as planned.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants