NBA News: Mo Williams Joins Minnesota Timberwolves for $3.75M
By James Patrick Quizon | July 29, 2014 2:42 PM EST
The Minnesota Timberwolves will reportedly sign veteran guard Mo Williams to a one-year $3.75 million contract as the franchise looks to add depth in their point guard rotation for the 2014-2015 NBA season
NBA: Playoffs-San Antonio Spurs at Portland Trail Blazers
Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports first reported the signing via Twitter:
Free agent guard Mo Williams is nearing an agreement with Minnesota, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) July 28, 2014
An NBA veteran of 12 years in the league, Williams has also drawn the interest of the Dallas Mavericks but the latter preferred signing another veteran point guard in Jameer Nelson.
The 31-year-old last played for the Portland Trail Blazers last season when he averaged 9.7 points and 4.3 assists. Williams also had stints with the Utah Jazz, the team that drafted him as the 47th overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft; Milwaukee Bucks (2004-2008); Cleveland Cavaliers (2008-2011); and Los Angeles Clippers (2010-2012).
Williams’ arrival in the Minnesota camp will heat up the battle for the back-up point guard position, previously owned by Jose Juan Barea of Argentina. Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio is the starter for the Timberwolves.
Barea’s $4.51 million expiring contract has been linked to trade talks in the offseason and the acquisition of Williams will further push the rumours that the Argentine spitfire guard is on his way out of Minnesota.
Williams made the NBA All-Star team in 2009 when he teamed-up with LeBron James in helping the Cleveland Cavaliers to a 66-16 win-loss record in the regular season.
The 12-year-veteran was still a key role player in his time in Portland. He was a key cog in the Blazers’ playoff run, where they got ousted by the eventual champion team San Antonio Spurs in the second round. He scored in double-digits twice (13 points and 17 points in Games 2 and 3, respectively) in the first round victory over the Houston Rockets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate