9/11 Cancer Collection Claims 2,500 Ground Zero Rescue Workers: All of Them Have Cancer Now
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 29, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Harsh reality has turned them from hero to hapless victims. They risked their own lives to save others following the disastrous 9/11 terrorist attack that completely shook up the world.
The latest saddening study by World Trade Centre Health Program research reports that more than 2,500 rescuers have now been diagnosed with cancer.
The second tower of the World Trade Center explodes into flames after being hit by a airplane, New York September 11, 2001 with the Brooklyn bridge in the foreground.
The number of cancer victims went up from 1,140 to 2,500 during last one year.
“According to the report by New York Post; new figures show 2518 police officers, construction workers, sanitation workers, city employees, volunteers, firefighters and paramedics have been diagnosed with various forms of the illness.”
The heinous attack claimed more than 2700 lives and thousands others got exposed to dust, debris, toxic emissions that filled up the air.
Researchers established a link between this environmental pollution with increasing incidence of cancer amongst rescuers.
“According to New York Post; a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that there was an increased risk of prostate cancer, thyroid cancer and myeloma (bone marrow cancer) among the Ground Zero workers when compared to other New York State residents.”
The exact figure of the victims as of now is 2518.
The sufferers are now seeking compensation to receive proper treatment.
“Daily Mirror reports that recently a retired captain from the New York Fire Department was awarded $1.5 million (£883,500) from the federal 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) for lung disease and inoperable pancreatic cancer. He told one New York newspaper: I’m hoping they rush more cases like mine, where we’re not expected to last long. I knew that day that a lot of us would get sick.”
Data suggests that sufferers made 1145 claims to the VCF as of June 30.
“Andy Lines, chief reporter in NY on 9/11 termed this heart wrenching incident as shocking and appalling - but not surprising; given the fact that he got to witness the condition under which these workers worked for days, Daily Mirror says.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar