9/11 Cancer Collection Claims 2,500 Ground Zero Rescue Workers: All of Them Have Cancer Now
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 29, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Harsh reality has turned them from hero to hapless victims. They risked their own lives to save others following the disastrous 9/11 terrorist attack that completely shook up the world.
The latest saddening study by World Trade Centre Health Program research reports that more than 2,500 rescuers have now been diagnosed with cancer.
The second tower of the World Trade Center explodes into flames after being hit by a airplane, New York September 11, 2001 with the Brooklyn bridge in the foreground.
The number of cancer victims went up from 1,140 to 2,500 during last one year.
“According to the report by New York Post; new figures show 2518 police officers, construction workers, sanitation workers, city employees, volunteers, firefighters and paramedics have been diagnosed with various forms of the illness.”
The heinous attack claimed more than 2700 lives and thousands others got exposed to dust, debris, toxic emissions that filled up the air.
Researchers established a link between this environmental pollution with increasing incidence of cancer amongst rescuers.
“According to New York Post; a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that there was an increased risk of prostate cancer, thyroid cancer and myeloma (bone marrow cancer) among the Ground Zero workers when compared to other New York State residents.”
The exact figure of the victims as of now is 2518.
The sufferers are now seeking compensation to receive proper treatment.
“Daily Mirror reports that recently a retired captain from the New York Fire Department was awarded $1.5 million (£883,500) from the federal 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund (VCF) for lung disease and inoperable pancreatic cancer. He told one New York newspaper: I’m hoping they rush more cases like mine, where we’re not expected to last long. I knew that day that a lot of us would get sick.”
Data suggests that sufferers made 1145 claims to the VCF as of June 30.
“Andy Lines, chief reporter in NY on 9/11 termed this heart wrenching incident as shocking and appalling - but not surprising; given the fact that he got to witness the condition under which these workers worked for days, Daily Mirror says.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?