Sony Android 4.4.4 and 4.4.2 KitKat: Pros and Cons on Upgrading Xperia Devices to New Firmware
By Ryan Inoyori | July 29, 2014 10:15 AM EST
Sony Mobile is now pushing Android 4.4.4 and 4.4.2 KitKat updates on several Xperia smartphones. But there are several advantages and disadvantages once the device has been updated to Android KitKat with Xperia Home UI.
Android KitKat Advantages
1. Transfer Apps to SD Card
It is currently limited to Sony Xperia T2 Ultra running Android 4.4.2 KitKat allowing apps to be transferred to the microSD card which has been restricted by default. According to reports from XperiaBlog, users who updated the handset will now see a tab under the Applications Manager for the SD card.
2. User Revamped
Android KitKat features a revamped on the user interface that made it different from Android Jelly Bean. It includes changes on the status and navigation bars, Quick Settings, PlayStation 4 launch animation and live wallpaper, and more customisable notifications.
3. Updated Power Manager
Android KitKat updates the STAMINA mode on Xperia devices and includes the option to sync apps in intervals which was not found on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Moreover, the STAMINA mode helps prolong the battery life by bringing out more juice than before.
4. Smart Social Camera
With the Android KitKat update, users can get more from the updated camera experience and various camera apps such as Creative Effect. Users are also allowed to download more via Google Play Store or via Sony Select.
5. Updated Apps and Services
Get the latest app versions of all Sony native and multimedia applications such as messaging, email, WALKMAN, Album and Movies.
6. Xperia Themes
More and more themes are now supported on Android KitKat in respect to theme developers posting at Google Play Store. In addition, users who would like Android L Xperia Theme can enjoy the changes on the soft keys, lock screen and home screen wallpaper.
7. Sony SmartWear
Compatibility for Sony SmartWear experience such as SmartBand SWR10 is also included on the Android KitKat update.
1. Not all Sony devices are upgradable on the same Android KitKat firmware version. As of now, Android 4.4.4 KitKat is currently available to Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact while others including Xperia Z and Xperia Tablet Z are still on Android 4.4.2 version.
2. Battery draining issue on the Xperia Z running Android 4.4.2 KitKat has been reported and confirmed by Sony Mobile due to an older version of Google Play Services.
3. Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Xperia Z1 was found to cause overheating problem while running the camera app.
4. Sound bug was reported on 14.3.A.0.681 firmware version of Android KitKat and later patched up by Sony Mobile.
5. Possible lag and sluggish performance on the camera app and its camera modes.
6. Memory SD card app transfer restrictions as default by Google except on Xperia T2 Ultra.
To contact the editor, e-mail: