ACT Court Finds Former Parliament Speaker Peter Slipper Guilty of Dishonesty for Charging Wine Tour Cab Fare to Australian Taxpayers
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 29, 2014 8:16 AM EST
Former Australian Parliament Speaker Peter Slipper is again in the limelight after an Australian Capital Territory court declared him on Monday guilty of dishonesty for charging to Aussie taxpayers his cab fare while touring a wine district in Canberra.
A driver waits in a taxi for his turn to fill up his tank with diesel at a fuel station in Kolkata June 14, 2012.
He will be sentenced on Sept 22 when he faces the prospect of 12 months prison term or $10,000 fine. Slipper, who previously slipped from sexual harassment charges filed by a staff but which case has been appealed before the Federal Court, had admitted using taxpayer money to tour the vineyards thrice in 2010, but insisted he wasn't acting dishonestly.
In disagreeing with Slipper's argument, ACT Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker pointed out that the former Speaker didn't fill up his real destination on the travel vouchers worth $900 because he wanted to misrepresent his deeds. He manually filled up multiple vouchers for single journeys rather than file them electronically to mask the fact that his trips were not related to his work in parliament.
The entry in the voucher read "parliament to suburbs" and "suburbs to suburbs" even if he was actually visiting the vineyards.
The cab driver who transported Slipper in January 2010 testified that the then speaker went to six different wineries, including Poachers Pantry and Clonakilla wineries, and requested him to issue four separate receipts to facilitate processing of the voucher.
Because of the previous case against Slipper that embarrassed immensely the former top official, who used to represent Queensland, had twice attempted to take his own life in 2013. He claimed mental illness in having the dishonesty charges filed against him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay – Part 1' Banned, Protesters Use Three-fingered Salute In Real Life
- Jealousy Behind Shooting Of Miss Honduras & Sister, BF Confesses
- Killer Even Joined Search For Beauty Queen & Sister, Uncle Reveals; Honduras Won’t Send Replacement Candidate To Miss World
- Gunman Wounds 3 Students In Florida State University Shooting
- Most Male Sex Workers In Australia Get Clients From Online Escort Sites, Not On Streets
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports