Transfer News: Liverpool and Arsenal Suffer Blow as French Winger Opts for Madrid
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 29, 2014 4:52 AM EST
Premier League clubs Liverpool and Arsenal suffered a blow as Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann, who rumoured to be on their wish list, opted to move to Atletico Madrid.
The 23-year-old, who started three of France's five World Cup matches, which includes the 1-nil quarter-finals loss to Germany, had been solid fixture for La Real.
France's Antoine Griezmann (R) controls the ball next to Germany's Philipp Lahm during their 2014 World Cup quarter-finals at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro July 4, 2014.
His scoring output rose consistently from 6 during his days in the Segunda Division in 2009 to 16 last season, coupled with 4 assists, in the La Liga.
"Atlético de Madrid and Real Sociedad have reached an agreement for the transfer of Antoine Griezmann," a statement read on Atleti's official Website.
"The young French football player will undergo the corresponding medical examination before signing the contract with our Club."
Griezmann will suggestedly cost the Rojiblancos £27million, should the deal push through.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom