Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Sign Teenage Sensation Calum Chambers from Southampton
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 29, 2014 3:11 AM EST
Arsenal have confirmed the signing of teenage sensation Calum Chambers from Southampton.
The 19-year-old is a graduate of the famous Saints Academy, which boasts the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Luke Shaw, among others, as its alumni.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger prides himself in investing in young players
"Calum Chambers has joined Arsenal from Southampton on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee," a statement read on Arsenal.com.
Chambers, who was described as "tall, athletic, and versatile," joined the Gunners for an unconfirmed fee of £18million.
He is expected to challenge recent signing Mathieu Debuchy at the right side of the defensive line, while providing Arsene Wenger a possible long-term solution to the void left by now-Manchester City player Bacary Sagna.
"Tall and athletic, the versatile youngster started his career in midfield, but established himself at right back last season and can also play in the centre of defence. He is currently captain of England Under-19s," the statement added.
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NFL News: Chicago Bears Likely To Fire Head Coach Marc Trestman At End Of NFL Season
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider