Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Sign Teenage Sensation Calum Chambers from Southampton
By Mark Wayne Eubank | July 29, 2014 3:11 AM EST
Arsenal have confirmed the signing of teenage sensation Calum Chambers from Southampton.
The 19-year-old is a graduate of the famous Saints Academy, which boasts the likes of Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Adam Lallana, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, and Luke Shaw, among others, as its alumni.
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger prides himself in investing in young players
"Calum Chambers has joined Arsenal from Southampton on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee," a statement read on Arsenal.com.
Chambers, who was described as "tall, athletic, and versatile," joined the Gunners for an unconfirmed fee of £18million.
He is expected to challenge recent signing Mathieu Debuchy at the right side of the defensive line, while providing Arsene Wenger a possible long-term solution to the void left by now-Manchester City player Bacary Sagna.
"Tall and athletic, the versatile youngster started his career in midfield, but established himself at right back last season and can also play in the centre of defence. He is currently captain of England Under-19s," the statement added.
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report