‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen Explains Why She Scrapped Delta Goodrem’s Song
By Anne Lu | July 28, 2014 8:56 PM EST
“The Voice Australia” winner Anja Nissen was supposed to release her first single titled “My Girls,” which was co-written by Delta Goodrem. However, the song was scrapped at the last minute to be replaced by a new song she recorded with will.i.am.
The sudden change of plans has confused viewers, who were expecting Anja’s album to hit shelves on August 1. There was no official explanation given, which just prompted speculations that there’s trouble with former “The Voice Australia” coach Delta and the producers.
Also, according to reports, Delta’s song was ditched in favour of the Black Eyed Peas star, who can help Anja achieve international stardom. Apparently, while Delta is an Australian treasure, she’s basically unheard of in the international music scene. Will.i.am, on the other hand, is an international superstar.
“If they want to launch Anja Nissen internationally you would give priority to a song by will.i.am over one by Delta Goodrem,” Noise 11 co-founder Paul Cashmerewas quoted by news.com.au as saying.
“The fact is will.i.am has certainly had more success getting songs on the radio in the last few years. But while no one has heard either song yet you’ve got to question when a Delta Goodrem or a will.i.am write a song and don’t use it themselves.”
Former “The X Factor Australia” judge Mark Holden said Anja’s album delay might be detrimental to her career.
“In reality TV you get one moment to make an impact and unfortunately she may have missed hers,” he said.
“Delta is a briliiant songwriter so I find it hard to believe the song wasn’t any good,” he mused about reports that Delta’s song was abandoned because it was not good.
“Even if will.i.am’s new song is fantastic, I think putting of the release of the single for even a week will be an enormous mistake.”
Anja admitted that her coach will.i.am didn’t think that “My Girls” was the right song for her.
“’My Girls’ is an awesome song, a great song,” the former “Australia’s Got Talent” contestant said. “It just came down to whether or not it’s my style or not. Will just wasn’t sure.”
She further explained, “We didn’t have enough time. Will wanted to be part of the decision making process when it came to choosing the single. Will wasn’t sure if ‘My Girls’ was the right style for me. He wanted to have a few more days to think about that and start working on ideas, looking at where to go next.”
Anja’s self-titled album, which comprised of covers of various artists, will be released on Friday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Stefan Proposes To 'Elena Williams' In Promo Trailer For Episode 4 Titled 'Black Hole Sun' [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge