Complete Darkness at Night Key Brings Maximum Success of Breast Cancer Therapy: Latest Study Reveals
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 28, 2014 6:45 PM EST
In order to investigate the role of melatonin over the effectiveness of tamoxifen, a breast cancer drug widely used to fight against human breast cancer cells; investigators and co-leaders of Tulane's Circadian Cancer Biology Group, Steven Hill and David Blask, and rest of the team members Robert Dauchy and Shulin Xiang, implanted them in rats.
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN: Australian singer Olivia Newton-John, 64, was diagnosed in 1992 and underwent a partial mastectomy and chemotherapy. Her 2005 album, "Stronger than Before" promoted breast cancer awareness. She also introduced the "Olivia Breast Self-Exam Kit" and helped build the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Centre in her native Melbourne, Australia.
Through an exciting finding it was observed that exposure to light at night shuts down nighttime production of a hormone called melatonin which in turn causes the development of temoxifen resistant breast cancer.
The report got published in the journal of Cancer Research.
“According to Science Daily, in the first phase of the study, we kept animals in a daily light/dark cycle of 12 hours of light followed by 12 hours of total darkness (melatonin is elevated during the dark phase) for several weeks. In the second study, we exposed them to the same daily light/dark cycle; however, during the 12 hour dark phase, animals were exposed to extremely dim light at night (melatonin levels are suppressed), roughly equivalent to faint light coming under a door, explained Hill”
It was found that Melatonin caused delaying of tumour formation and also was capable of bringing along significant slowdown of their growth but the use of tamoxifen led to a huge regression of tumours in rats with either high night time levels of melatonin during absolute darkness or in the rats who were on melatonin supplementation during dim light at night exposure.
The researchers believe these results have immense implications for women who while being treated with tamoxifen are regularly exposed to light at night because of insomnia, irregular working hours. Even exposure to light from computer or TV screen should not be allowed with them.
"High melatonin levels at night put breast cancer cells to 'sleep' by turning off key growth mechanisms. These cells are vulnerable to tamoxifen. But when the lights are on and melatonin is suppressed, breast cancer cells 'wake up' and ignore tamoxifen," Blask was quoted saying.
This study in the future can successfully announce light at night as a new and serious risk factor for developing resistance to tamoxifen and other anticancer drugs as well.
It will most likely also be possible to make use of melatonin in combination with tamoxifen, administered at the optimal time of day or night as a standard treatment for innumerable breast cancer patients.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage