Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 28, 2014 6:34 PM EST
Accomplished and renowned Australian super model Andreja Pejic previously known as Andrej Pejic, has come out as transgender.
Pejic has offered exclusive coverage of the story to Entertainment Tonight, People.com and Style.com.
super model Andreja Pejic .
“According to a statement emailed to The Huffington Post by GLAAD notes, Pejic will only be modeling women's clothing going forward and has received support from her agency, friends and family."
Pejic who featured in esteemed magazine covers of Elle and New York, French Vogue to name a few, said "To all trans youth out there, I would like to say respect yourself and be proud of who you are. All human beings deserve equal treatment no matter their gender identity or sexuality. To be perceived as what you say you are is a basic human right."
Pejic has walked in both men and women fashion shows.
"While speaking to Style.com, Pejic explained; I figured out who I was very early on—actually, at the age of 13, with the help of the Internet—so I knew that a transition, becoming a woman, was always something I needed to do. But it wasn’t possible at the time, and I put it off, and androgyny became a way of expressing my femininity without having to explain myself to people too much."
Pejic becomes a glamorous addition to the new league of trans models who have decided to come out publicly. Isis King created waves as the first trans woman to compete on America's Next Top Model. Afterwards model Lea T came out to the world as transgender in French Vogue.
“The Huffington Post reported on her decision to change her name by adding an "a" to the end of it, Pejic noted, it’s not a full transformation —it’s just an evolution." She added, "...Andrej is a Christian Orthodox name, and in that religion, it’s definitely a male name. So I kept the 'j' and added an 'a,' which actually becomes a name that I don’t think exists. But I wanted to keep the 'j' because that’s me. That’s my name."
Pejic didn’t forget to share her view with her admirers on Facebook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand