Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 28, 2014 6:34 PM EST
Accomplished and renowned Australian super model Andreja Pejic previously known as Andrej Pejic, has come out as transgender.
Pejic has offered exclusive coverage of the story to Entertainment Tonight, People.com and Style.com.
super model Andreja Pejic .
“According to a statement emailed to The Huffington Post by GLAAD notes, Pejic will only be modeling women's clothing going forward and has received support from her agency, friends and family."
Pejic who featured in esteemed magazine covers of Elle and New York, French Vogue to name a few, said "To all trans youth out there, I would like to say respect yourself and be proud of who you are. All human beings deserve equal treatment no matter their gender identity or sexuality. To be perceived as what you say you are is a basic human right."
Pejic has walked in both men and women fashion shows.
"While speaking to Style.com, Pejic explained; I figured out who I was very early on—actually, at the age of 13, with the help of the Internet—so I knew that a transition, becoming a woman, was always something I needed to do. But it wasn’t possible at the time, and I put it off, and androgyny became a way of expressing my femininity without having to explain myself to people too much."
Pejic becomes a glamorous addition to the new league of trans models who have decided to come out publicly. Isis King created waves as the first trans woman to compete on America's Next Top Model. Afterwards model Lea T came out to the world as transgender in French Vogue.
“The Huffington Post reported on her decision to change her name by adding an "a" to the end of it, Pejic noted, it’s not a full transformation —it’s just an evolution." She added, "...Andrej is a Christian Orthodox name, and in that religion, it’s definitely a male name. So I kept the 'j' and added an 'a,' which actually becomes a name that I don’t think exists. But I wanted to keep the 'j' because that’s me. That’s my name."
Pejic didn’t forget to share her view with her admirers on Facebook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- New Zealand Develops New Drug To Fight 'Superbugs'
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery