Super Model Andreja Pejic Confirms Identity As Transgender
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 28, 2014 6:34 PM EST
Accomplished and renowned Australian super model Andreja Pejic previously known as Andrej Pejic, has come out as transgender.
Pejic has offered exclusive coverage of the story to Entertainment Tonight, People.com and Style.com.
super model Andreja Pejic .
“According to a statement emailed to The Huffington Post by GLAAD notes, Pejic will only be modeling women's clothing going forward and has received support from her agency, friends and family."
Pejic who featured in esteemed magazine covers of Elle and New York, French Vogue to name a few, said "To all trans youth out there, I would like to say respect yourself and be proud of who you are. All human beings deserve equal treatment no matter their gender identity or sexuality. To be perceived as what you say you are is a basic human right."
Pejic has walked in both men and women fashion shows.
"While speaking to Style.com, Pejic explained; I figured out who I was very early on—actually, at the age of 13, with the help of the Internet—so I knew that a transition, becoming a woman, was always something I needed to do. But it wasn’t possible at the time, and I put it off, and androgyny became a way of expressing my femininity without having to explain myself to people too much."
Pejic becomes a glamorous addition to the new league of trans models who have decided to come out publicly. Isis King created waves as the first trans woman to compete on America's Next Top Model. Afterwards model Lea T came out to the world as transgender in French Vogue.
“The Huffington Post reported on her decision to change her name by adding an "a" to the end of it, Pejic noted, it’s not a full transformation —it’s just an evolution." She added, "...Andrej is a Christian Orthodox name, and in that religion, it’s definitely a male name. So I kept the 'j' and added an 'a,' which actually becomes a name that I don’t think exists. But I wanted to keep the 'j' because that’s me. That’s my name."
Pejic didn’t forget to share her view with her admirers on Facebook.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Using Hand Dryers in Public Restrooms Could Spread Germs
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Beating Postnatal Depression Is Just A Phone Call Away
- Seasonal Flu Kills Hundreds In New Zealand Every Year
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James