Child with Brain Cancer Gets Thousands of Birthday Cards from Strangers and a Wish from Justin Bieber
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 28, 2014 5:45 PM EST
A 6-year-old boy from the United States received 15,000 greeting cards wishing him "happy birthday" as he turned six on Friday, July 25. However, the more interesting part is that he has received all those cards from people he does not know in person. Little Danny Nickerson suffers from brain cancer, and his brain tumour cannot be operated.
A laboratory assistant holds one hemisphere of a healthy brain in the Morphological unit of psychopathology in the Neuropsychiatry division of the Belle Idee University Hospital in Chene-Bourg near Geneva March 14, 2011.
The Massachusetts boy loves to see his name on packages and letters, his mother Carley said. However, he had to stop going to school after he had been diagnosed with the disease in October 2013. As he felt lonelier, his mother decided to gift him a mail box. She made an appeal on a local newspaper, asking people to send her child birthday cards. The appeal went viral, and well wishes and gifts poured in thousands.
Danny suffers from diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, a disease that kills around 90 per cent of its patients within 18 months of diagnosis. His mother, on the contrary, refuses to believe that he is going to die.
"I don't really believe in that. He is doing great," Carley told ABC News. "Every day is a blessing for us."
Magical Fairy Missions, a charitable organisation, earlier sent him Easter Cards, but this time, the family became "speechless" in response, his Facebook page said.
Several others donated for his daily expenses through GoFundMe. Even though the initial request was for $15,000, the funding page already raised more than $32,000.
If you want to wish Danny a belated happy birthday, you can send your wishes and gifts to Daniel Nickerson, PO Box 212, Foxboro, MA 02035 USA.
Here is wishing Danny a miraculous comeback to life.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate