Child with Brain Cancer Gets Thousands of Birthday Cards from Strangers and a Wish from Justin Bieber
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 28, 2014 5:45 PM EST
A 6-year-old boy from the United States received 15,000 greeting cards wishing him "happy birthday" as he turned six on Friday, July 25. However, the more interesting part is that he has received all those cards from people he does not know in person. Little Danny Nickerson suffers from brain cancer, and his brain tumour cannot be operated.
A laboratory assistant holds one hemisphere of a healthy brain in the Morphological unit of psychopathology in the Neuropsychiatry division of the Belle Idee University Hospital in Chene-Bourg near Geneva March 14, 2011.
The Massachusetts boy loves to see his name on packages and letters, his mother Carley said. However, he had to stop going to school after he had been diagnosed with the disease in October 2013. As he felt lonelier, his mother decided to gift him a mail box. She made an appeal on a local newspaper, asking people to send her child birthday cards. The appeal went viral, and well wishes and gifts poured in thousands.
Danny suffers from diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, a disease that kills around 90 per cent of its patients within 18 months of diagnosis. His mother, on the contrary, refuses to believe that he is going to die.
"I don't really believe in that. He is doing great," Carley told ABC News. "Every day is a blessing for us."
Magical Fairy Missions, a charitable organisation, earlier sent him Easter Cards, but this time, the family became "speechless" in response, his Facebook page said.
Several others donated for his daily expenses through GoFundMe. Even though the initial request was for $15,000, the funding page already raised more than $32,000.
If you want to wish Danny a belated happy birthday, you can send your wishes and gifts to Daniel Nickerson, PO Box 212, Foxboro, MA 02035 USA.
Here is wishing Danny a miraculous comeback to life.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date