Child with Brain Cancer Gets Thousands of Birthday Cards from Strangers and a Wish from Justin Bieber
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 28, 2014 5:45 PM EST
A 6-year-old boy from the United States received 15,000 greeting cards wishing him "happy birthday" as he turned six on Friday, July 25. However, the more interesting part is that he has received all those cards from people he does not know in person. Little Danny Nickerson suffers from brain cancer, and his brain tumour cannot be operated.
A laboratory assistant holds one hemisphere of a healthy brain in the Morphological unit of psychopathology in the Neuropsychiatry division of the Belle Idee University Hospital in Chene-Bourg near Geneva March 14, 2011.
The Massachusetts boy loves to see his name on packages and letters, his mother Carley said. However, he had to stop going to school after he had been diagnosed with the disease in October 2013. As he felt lonelier, his mother decided to gift him a mail box. She made an appeal on a local newspaper, asking people to send her child birthday cards. The appeal went viral, and well wishes and gifts poured in thousands.
Danny suffers from diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, a disease that kills around 90 per cent of its patients within 18 months of diagnosis. His mother, on the contrary, refuses to believe that he is going to die.
"I don't really believe in that. He is doing great," Carley told ABC News. "Every day is a blessing for us."
Magical Fairy Missions, a charitable organisation, earlier sent him Easter Cards, but this time, the family became "speechless" in response, his Facebook page said.
Several others donated for his daily expenses through GoFundMe. Even though the initial request was for $15,000, the funding page already raised more than $32,000.
If you want to wish Danny a belated happy birthday, you can send your wishes and gifts to Daniel Nickerson, PO Box 212, Foxboro, MA 02035 USA.
Here is wishing Danny a miraculous comeback to life.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage