Child with Brain Cancer Gets Thousands of Birthday Cards from Strangers and a Wish from Justin Bieber
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 28, 2014 5:45 PM EST
A 6-year-old boy from the United States received 15,000 greeting cards wishing him "happy birthday" as he turned six on Friday, July 25. However, the more interesting part is that he has received all those cards from people he does not know in person. Little Danny Nickerson suffers from brain cancer, and his brain tumour cannot be operated.
A laboratory assistant holds one hemisphere of a healthy brain in the Morphological unit of psychopathology in the Neuropsychiatry division of the Belle Idee University Hospital in Chene-Bourg near Geneva March 14, 2011.
The Massachusetts boy loves to see his name on packages and letters, his mother Carley said. However, he had to stop going to school after he had been diagnosed with the disease in October 2013. As he felt lonelier, his mother decided to gift him a mail box. She made an appeal on a local newspaper, asking people to send her child birthday cards. The appeal went viral, and well wishes and gifts poured in thousands.
Danny suffers from diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, a disease that kills around 90 per cent of its patients within 18 months of diagnosis. His mother, on the contrary, refuses to believe that he is going to die.
"I don't really believe in that. He is doing great," Carley told ABC News. "Every day is a blessing for us."
Magical Fairy Missions, a charitable organisation, earlier sent him Easter Cards, but this time, the family became "speechless" in response, his Facebook page said.
Several others donated for his daily expenses through GoFundMe. Even though the initial request was for $15,000, the funding page already raised more than $32,000.
If you want to wish Danny a belated happy birthday, you can send your wishes and gifts to Daniel Nickerson, PO Box 212, Foxboro, MA 02035 USA.
Here is wishing Danny a miraculous comeback to life.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related