Paul Millsap of the Atlanta Hawks Added to Team USA Pool for FIBA World Cup in Spain
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 28, 2014 5:15 PM EST
With big men LaMarcus Aldrdige, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin out of Team USA for the FIBA World Cup 2014 in Spain, the Americans are looking to tap Paul Milllsap to help their campaign in the basketball world championships this August.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
Marc Stein of ESPN reported the development.
Just got word: Hawks' Paul Millsap has been invited to Team USA camp in Vegas. Surprise but sensible addition after frontcourt withdrawals
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 27, 2014
Without the stretch big in Love and Aldridge and athletic forward Griffin, Team USA’s depth at the forward-center spots have been decimated and including Millsap in the training camp should help the Americans’ evaluate their roster if they want or need to add another big.
Love begged off because of his current trade-demand situation from the Minnesota Timberwolves while Griffin and Aldridge passed on donning Team USA’s colors to rest in the offseason.
“Paul has prior experience at the National Team level having participated in the 2009 National Team mini-camp and offers us veteran inside player who possesses attributes that can be beneficial for us," Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo said in a press release.
Millsap is coming off a career season with the Atlanta Hawks in the NBA. The 29-year-old averaged a career-high 19.4 points and added 10.9 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.9 blocked shots in his first year with the Hawks franchise.
"I'm very excited about being added to the USA Men's National Team roster," Millsap said in the same press release. "I look forward to practicing with and competing against some of the NBA's best for the honor of representing our country in Spain."
Millsap will compete for 12-man roster spots against Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets) , DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings), Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans) and Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan