Paul Millsap of the Atlanta Hawks Added to Team USA Pool for FIBA World Cup in Spain
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 28, 2014 5:15 PM EST
With big men LaMarcus Aldrdige, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin out of Team USA for the FIBA World Cup 2014 in Spain, the Americans are looking to tap Paul Milllsap to help their campaign in the basketball world championships this August.
NBA: Playoffs-Indiana Pacers at Atlanta Hawks
Marc Stein of ESPN reported the development.
Just got word: Hawks' Paul Millsap has been invited to Team USA camp in Vegas. Surprise but sensible addition after frontcourt withdrawals
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) July 27, 2014
Without the stretch big in Love and Aldridge and athletic forward Griffin, Team USA’s depth at the forward-center spots have been decimated and including Millsap in the training camp should help the Americans’ evaluate their roster if they want or need to add another big.
Love begged off because of his current trade-demand situation from the Minnesota Timberwolves while Griffin and Aldridge passed on donning Team USA’s colors to rest in the offseason.
“Paul has prior experience at the National Team level having participated in the 2009 National Team mini-camp and offers us veteran inside player who possesses attributes that can be beneficial for us," Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo said in a press release.
Millsap is coming off a career season with the Atlanta Hawks in the NBA. The 29-year-old averaged a career-high 19.4 points and added 10.9 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.9 blocked shots in his first year with the Hawks franchise.
"I'm very excited about being added to the USA Men's National Team roster," Millsap said in the same press release. "I look forward to practicing with and competing against some of the NBA's best for the honor of representing our country in Spain."
Millsap will compete for 12-man roster spots against Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets) , DeMarcus Cousins (Sacramento Kings), Anthony Davis (New Orleans Pelicans) and Andre Drummond (Detroit Pistons).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around