No Flirting Between New ‘Doctor Who’ and Companion Clara, 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi Says
By Anne Lu | July 28, 2014 4:52 PM EST
“Doctor Who” new star Peter Capaldi has ruled out any flirtation between the 12th Doctor and Clara Oswald. The Scottish actor insisted that he would not be continuing the burgeoning romance between the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) and his companion.
Just when the viewers thought that the BBC series would be featuring a May-December romance between the Doctor and Clara, Capaldi, 56, has put a stop to it early on.
“There’ll be no flirting, that’s for sure,” he told The Sunday Times Magazine of the Doctor and Clara, who is played by 28-year-old Jenna Coleman.
“It’s not what this Doctor’s concerned with. It’s quite a fun relationship, but no, I did call and say, ‘I want no Papa-Nicole moments,’” he added, referring to the series of commercials for the Renault Clio cars in the ‘90s, which featured an older man and a younger woman who turned out to be a father and his daughter.
“I think there was a bit of tension with that at first, but I was absolutely adamant.”
When Smith held the title of the show’s Doctor, he hinted a possible romance with Clara. His closeness with his companion even led to a kiss.
But as Capaldi said, whatever budding romance that the 11th Doctor and Clara have started would not be happening in the upcoming series. An onscreen love affair between an older man and a younger woman is apparently not what he had in mind.
Technically, though, “Doctor Who” has always featured such romance, considering the Doctor is over 900 years old.
What viewers can expect in the coming series, though, is a more dramatic story.
“It’s going to be a bit different from what we’ve seen over recent years. A bit more gravity,” Capaldi continued.
“Some situations are more sombre and I think there are more rooted dramatic scenes. Over the past two or three years, which I’ve loved, there has often been a breathless vigour; we still have that attack, but we have another level of drama, another tone. And the scenes are longer.”
In the latest teaser released by BBC, the Doctor is seen meditating while the camera zooms in at him before he says, “Listen!”
“Doctor Who” starring Capaldi as the 12th Doctor will kick off on August 23 in the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone