No Flirting Between New ‘Doctor Who’ and Companion Clara, 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi Says
By Anne Lu | July 28, 2014 4:52 PM EST
“Doctor Who” new star Peter Capaldi has ruled out any flirtation between the 12th Doctor and Clara Oswald. The Scottish actor insisted that he would not be continuing the burgeoning romance between the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) and his companion.
Just when the viewers thought that the BBC series would be featuring a May-December romance between the Doctor and Clara, Capaldi, 56, has put a stop to it early on.
“There’ll be no flirting, that’s for sure,” he told The Sunday Times Magazine of the Doctor and Clara, who is played by 28-year-old Jenna Coleman.
“It’s not what this Doctor’s concerned with. It’s quite a fun relationship, but no, I did call and say, ‘I want no Papa-Nicole moments,’” he added, referring to the series of commercials for the Renault Clio cars in the ‘90s, which featured an older man and a younger woman who turned out to be a father and his daughter.
“I think there was a bit of tension with that at first, but I was absolutely adamant.”
When Smith held the title of the show’s Doctor, he hinted a possible romance with Clara. His closeness with his companion even led to a kiss.
But as Capaldi said, whatever budding romance that the 11th Doctor and Clara have started would not be happening in the upcoming series. An onscreen love affair between an older man and a younger woman is apparently not what he had in mind.
Technically, though, “Doctor Who” has always featured such romance, considering the Doctor is over 900 years old.
What viewers can expect in the coming series, though, is a more dramatic story.
“It’s going to be a bit different from what we’ve seen over recent years. A bit more gravity,” Capaldi continued.
“Some situations are more sombre and I think there are more rooted dramatic scenes. Over the past two or three years, which I’ve loved, there has often been a breathless vigour; we still have that attack, but we have another level of drama, another tone. And the scenes are longer.”
In the latest teaser released by BBC, the Doctor is seen meditating while the camera zooms in at him before he says, “Listen!”
“Doctor Who” starring Capaldi as the 12th Doctor will kick off on August 23 in the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS