No Flirting Between New ‘Doctor Who’ and Companion Clara, 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi Says
By Anne Lu | July 28, 2014 4:52 PM EST
“Doctor Who” new star Peter Capaldi has ruled out any flirtation between the 12th Doctor and Clara Oswald. The Scottish actor insisted that he would not be continuing the burgeoning romance between the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) and his companion.
Just when the viewers thought that the BBC series would be featuring a May-December romance between the Doctor and Clara, Capaldi, 56, has put a stop to it early on.
“There’ll be no flirting, that’s for sure,” he told The Sunday Times Magazine of the Doctor and Clara, who is played by 28-year-old Jenna Coleman.
“It’s not what this Doctor’s concerned with. It’s quite a fun relationship, but no, I did call and say, ‘I want no Papa-Nicole moments,’” he added, referring to the series of commercials for the Renault Clio cars in the ‘90s, which featured an older man and a younger woman who turned out to be a father and his daughter.
“I think there was a bit of tension with that at first, but I was absolutely adamant.”
When Smith held the title of the show’s Doctor, he hinted a possible romance with Clara. His closeness with his companion even led to a kiss.
But as Capaldi said, whatever budding romance that the 11th Doctor and Clara have started would not be happening in the upcoming series. An onscreen love affair between an older man and a younger woman is apparently not what he had in mind.
Technically, though, “Doctor Who” has always featured such romance, considering the Doctor is over 900 years old.
What viewers can expect in the coming series, though, is a more dramatic story.
“It’s going to be a bit different from what we’ve seen over recent years. A bit more gravity,” Capaldi continued.
“Some situations are more sombre and I think there are more rooted dramatic scenes. Over the past two or three years, which I’ve loved, there has often been a breathless vigour; we still have that attack, but we have another level of drama, another tone. And the scenes are longer.”
In the latest teaser released by BBC, the Doctor is seen meditating while the camera zooms in at him before he says, “Listen!”
“Doctor Who” starring Capaldi as the 12th Doctor will kick off on August 23 in the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family