No Flirting Between New ‘Doctor Who’ and Companion Clara, 12th Doctor Peter Capaldi Says
By Anne Lu | July 28, 2014 4:52 PM EST
“Doctor Who” new star Peter Capaldi has ruled out any flirtation between the 12th Doctor and Clara Oswald. The Scottish actor insisted that he would not be continuing the burgeoning romance between the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) and his companion.
Just when the viewers thought that the BBC series would be featuring a May-December romance between the Doctor and Clara, Capaldi, 56, has put a stop to it early on.
“There’ll be no flirting, that’s for sure,” he told The Sunday Times Magazine of the Doctor and Clara, who is played by 28-year-old Jenna Coleman.
“It’s not what this Doctor’s concerned with. It’s quite a fun relationship, but no, I did call and say, ‘I want no Papa-Nicole moments,’” he added, referring to the series of commercials for the Renault Clio cars in the ‘90s, which featured an older man and a younger woman who turned out to be a father and his daughter.
“I think there was a bit of tension with that at first, but I was absolutely adamant.”
When Smith held the title of the show’s Doctor, he hinted a possible romance with Clara. His closeness with his companion even led to a kiss.
But as Capaldi said, whatever budding romance that the 11th Doctor and Clara have started would not be happening in the upcoming series. An onscreen love affair between an older man and a younger woman is apparently not what he had in mind.
Technically, though, “Doctor Who” has always featured such romance, considering the Doctor is over 900 years old.
What viewers can expect in the coming series, though, is a more dramatic story.
“It’s going to be a bit different from what we’ve seen over recent years. A bit more gravity,” Capaldi continued.
“Some situations are more sombre and I think there are more rooted dramatic scenes. Over the past two or three years, which I’ve loved, there has often been a breathless vigour; we still have that attack, but we have another level of drama, another tone. And the scenes are longer.”
In the latest teaser released by BBC, the Doctor is seen meditating while the camera zooms in at him before he says, “Listen!”
“Doctor Who” starring Capaldi as the 12th Doctor will kick off on August 23 in the UK.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier