Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
By Lou Imperial | July 28, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Commonwealth Game 2014 - After a busy Day 1 of athletics competition dominated by long distance runners, the action at Hampden Park gets more faster when the world's best sprinters gun for three prestigious medals at stake in the men's 100 meter and women's 100 meter on Monday.
Michael Shelley of Australia celebrates after crossing the finish line to win the men's marathon gold medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 27, 2014.
Michael Shelley of Australia grinded out a win in the men's marathon, clocking a personal best 2:11:15 to beat Kenyan Stephen Chemlany (2:11:58) and Abraham Kiplimo (2:12:23), while Paralympic 100 meter sprinter Jodi Elkington made it a double for the Aussies after winning the gold in the women's 100 metres (T12).
"To have Monners here shouting for me around the course makes this mean even more to me," Shelley said following his sensation win via the Independent.
Australian marathon legend Steve Moneghetti, who served as the Chef de Mission of the Australian team in Glasgow, lauded Shelley for his fantastic win against powerful African runners.
"I think the way Michael dominated the Africans was fantastic," Moneghetti told the Independent. "To run a personal best on a championship course takes some doing."
Meanwhile, the Kenyans continued to dominate the day as Flomena Cheyech Daniel and Caroline Kilel made it a 1-2 finish for their country in the women's marathon. Daniel crossed the finish line at 2:26:45 and Kilel at 2:27:10. Australian Jessica Trengove captured the bronze at 2:30:12 - her personal best.
Caleb Ndiku nabbed the second gold for Kenya in the day with a close win over compatriot Isiah Kiplangat Koech in the 5000-meter run. Ndiku finished at 13:12.07 ahead of Koech (13:14.06) and bronze medalist Zane Robertson of New Zealand (13:16.52).
What To Watch on Day 2 of Athletics?
The hardest throwers in Glasgow will take the spotlight in the field with women's hammer throw final and men's shot put final slated on Monday.
Canada's Sultana Frizell heads into the medal round with the best record from the preliminary rounds, breaking the games record 68.92 meters. Julia Ratcliffe of New Zealand (67.96) and Sophie Hitchon of England (65:31) are also in contention after landing the second and third spot respectively after the preliminaries.
Of course, the men's and women's 100 meter golds are the day's main event. The Jamaicans are going to be the heavy favorite in the medal race of men's 100 meter, but it's Adam Gemili of England who emerged as the fastest qualifier from the first round at 10.15 seconds.
Schedule, Results and Live Stream Information
Online broadcast of the Commonwealth Games will start at 6:00 p.m (Sydney Time) on Youtube. Complete schedule, results and updates of Athletics competition are available on Glasgow 2014 official site.
For more Commonwealth Games 2014 update, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate