Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
By Afza Fathima | July 28, 2014 3:56 PM EST
Timber Wolf, a male koala, being considered Australia's luckiest koala, was hit by a car on the Bruce Highway on July 25 and then hung on to the car grille for a span of 88 kilometres and survived.
A South Australian policeman offers a drink of water to a koala at the side of the road in Adelaide January 16, 2014.
The koala suffered just a few scratches on his nose and is also said to be missing a toenail after his wild ride from Maryborough to Gympie. A Commodore, south of Maryborough, is said to have hit the koala, to which Timber hung on to until Gympie, 2 a.m. local time in Australia. The car had stopped to refuel at Brucy Highway Shell service station at Gympie until which time the koala had hung on to the car grille in front of the car.
A vet in Gympie, Dr. Groff Collyer, who treated the koala, said that the driver was aware that he had something but wasn't sure what and so he kept driving. When he did realise what had happened an hour later, he tried to run away. The survival of the four-year-old koala bear is considered 'incredible'.
The vet explained that initially, when the koala was picked up, it was trying to get away, in a way that seemed like struggle, but none of his arms or legs were broken. Painkillers that act as sedation were immediately administered to him.
Later, the koala was taken to Wildlife Hospital in Australia's zoo on the Sunshine Coast where he was issued a diagnosis of chlamydia apart from which he received a clean bill of health.
Another vet at the zoo, Dr. Amber Gillet, said that a complete and thorough examination showed that a few abrasions on the nose and a missing toe were the only things the koala suffered. She explained that the biggest problem they faced at the zoo was trying to figure out his home range. They are trying to track his exact location before he landed at Maryborough.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown