Guardians of the Galaxy 2: Release Date and Super Villain Thanos Revealed
By Sachin Trivedi | July 28, 2014 3:45 PM EST
The popularity of the upcoming movie "Guardians of the Galaxy" has prompted the producers to announce the sequel to the movie. The sequel will be released on July 28, 2017 and will be written and directed by James Gunn. The actor playing the role of Thanos was also revealed at the Comic Con event.
Cast member Michael Rooker poses at the premiere of "Guardians of the Galaxy" in Hollywood, California July 21, 2014. The movie opens in the U.S. on August 1. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni
The movie "Guardians of the Galaxy" will be released on July 31, 2014 in Australia. The popularity of the franchise has resulted in the announcement of a sequel even before the first movie is released. The writer and director of the movie, James Gunn, confirmed the news in a tweet.
Yes, I’m writing and directing the sequel to #GuardiansoftheGalaxy for theaters July 28 2017. But first go see the first one out next week!
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) July 27, 2014
One super villain who fans expect to feature in both the upcoming movies "Guardians of the Galaxy" 2 and "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is Thanos. The star actor Josh Brolin has been confirmed to play the role.
Readers must note that the main villain in "Avengers" 2 is Ultron. Thanos may not feature in a big way in the movie. He will however be the main villain in "Guardians of the Galaxy" 2. The announcement of Josh Brolin playing the part was made by Robert Downey Jr during an event at the Comic Con.
"Guardians of the Galaxy" is the story of five misfits joining hands to fight evil and save the universe. The five heroes will be facing the villain Ronan the Accuser in the movie. The five heroes are Peter Quill, Gamorra, Drax, Groot and Rocket. They will face Thanos in the next movie.
According to the Marvel comic books Thanos was born with deformities on Saturn's moon Titan. He sought strength and power and was eventually banished from his home world. He later commands an army and invades Titan to become its ruler.
One of the characters in "Guardians of the Galaxy," Gamora, was trained by Thanos to be his personal assassin. Gamora was taken by the super villain while she was an infant. Gamora later turned on her master and decided to chart her own destiny.
Thanos is the villain of the universe who is obsessed with pleasing Death. Readers may have had a glimpse of him towards the end of the first "Avengers" movie. The plot of "Guardians of the Galaxy" 2 is still not known but Josh Brolin wore an Infinity Gauntlet during the announcement.
Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Remembering the Betrayal of the Freys [Read]
Winds of Winter Spoilers: Stannis Baratheon - Fans' Expectations [Read]
Star Wars 7: Harrison Ford Still Using a Crutch [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2