Australian Michael Shelley Beats Africans, Takes Gold in Marathon of 2014 Commonwealth Games
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 28, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Michael Shelley of Australia celebrates after crossing the finish line to win the men's marathon gold medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 27, 2014.
Shelley clocked in at 2:11:15—a career-best-performance that saw him outrun mostly runners from the African continent. Stephen Chemlany (Kenya) at 2:11:58 took silver and Abraham Kiplimo (Uganda) at 2:12:23 settled for bronze.
Compatriots Liam Adams finished in 7th place (2:13:49) and Martin Dent ended up in 19th place (2:19:22) as among the Australian finishers in the athletics event with a distance of 42.195km course around the city.
The 30-year-old Shelley, who is from Southport, Australia, has now won two medals in the Commonwealth Games with the first one coming in 2010 Delhi when he won the silver.
The last time Australia won the marathon event was twenty years ago when Steve Moneghetti got gold in the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. That was also the last time that a non-African runner has placed first in Commonwealth marathon event.
Moneghetti, who is now a top official of the Australian delegation in Glasgow was proud of Shelley’s performance.
“I think the way Michael dominated the Africans was fantastic,” said Moneghetti, to The Independent. “To run a personal best on a championship course takes some doing.”
Shelley’s victory helped Australia lead his country past England in the medal rankings. The Aussies now have 73 medals (26-21-26 gold-silver-bronze) to the English’s 57 medals (23-17-17).
Shelley’s gold is the third for the Australians in athletics and second in marathon events. Jodi Elkington placed first in the women’s long jump final while Jess Trengove got the bronze in the women’s marathon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef