Australian Michael Shelley Beats Africans, Takes Gold in Marathon of 2014 Commonwealth Games
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 28, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Michael Shelley of Australia celebrates after crossing the finish line to win the men's marathon gold medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 27, 2014.
Shelley clocked in at 2:11:15—a career-best-performance that saw him outrun mostly runners from the African continent. Stephen Chemlany (Kenya) at 2:11:58 took silver and Abraham Kiplimo (Uganda) at 2:12:23 settled for bronze.
Compatriots Liam Adams finished in 7th place (2:13:49) and Martin Dent ended up in 19th place (2:19:22) as among the Australian finishers in the athletics event with a distance of 42.195km course around the city.
The 30-year-old Shelley, who is from Southport, Australia, has now won two medals in the Commonwealth Games with the first one coming in 2010 Delhi when he won the silver.
The last time Australia won the marathon event was twenty years ago when Steve Moneghetti got gold in the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. That was also the last time that a non-African runner has placed first in Commonwealth marathon event.
Moneghetti, who is now a top official of the Australian delegation in Glasgow was proud of Shelley’s performance.
“I think the way Michael dominated the Africans was fantastic,” said Moneghetti, to The Independent. “To run a personal best on a championship course takes some doing.”
Shelley’s victory helped Australia lead his country past England in the medal rankings. The Aussies now have 73 medals (26-21-26 gold-silver-bronze) to the English’s 57 medals (23-17-17).
Shelley’s gold is the third for the Australians in athletics and second in marathon events. Jodi Elkington placed first in the women’s long jump final while Jess Trengove got the bronze in the women’s marathon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage