Australian Michael Shelley Beats Africans, Takes Gold in Marathon of 2014 Commonwealth Games
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | July 28, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Michael Shelley of Australia celebrates after crossing the finish line to win the men's marathon gold medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 27, 2014.
Shelley clocked in at 2:11:15—a career-best-performance that saw him outrun mostly runners from the African continent. Stephen Chemlany (Kenya) at 2:11:58 took silver and Abraham Kiplimo (Uganda) at 2:12:23 settled for bronze.
Compatriots Liam Adams finished in 7th place (2:13:49) and Martin Dent ended up in 19th place (2:19:22) as among the Australian finishers in the athletics event with a distance of 42.195km course around the city.
The 30-year-old Shelley, who is from Southport, Australia, has now won two medals in the Commonwealth Games with the first one coming in 2010 Delhi when he won the silver.
The last time Australia won the marathon event was twenty years ago when Steve Moneghetti got gold in the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. That was also the last time that a non-African runner has placed first in Commonwealth marathon event.
Moneghetti, who is now a top official of the Australian delegation in Glasgow was proud of Shelley’s performance.
“I think the way Michael dominated the Africans was fantastic,” said Moneghetti, to The Independent. “To run a personal best on a championship course takes some doing.”
Shelley’s victory helped Australia lead his country past England in the medal rankings. The Aussies now have 73 medals (26-21-26 gold-silver-bronze) to the English’s 57 medals (23-17-17).
Shelley’s gold is the third for the Australians in athletics and second in marathon events. Jodi Elkington placed first in the women’s long jump final while Jess Trengove got the bronze in the women’s marathon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS