Mums-To-Be Face Discrimination at Workplace
By Afza Fathima | July 28, 2014 1:27 PM EST
The federal government has said that workplace discrimination against pregnant women should be stopped, more work needs to be done and it won't be fair to alter work laws to solve the problem.
A pregnant woman sits on the floor at a hospital in Minakaman June 26, 2014.
Australian Human Rights Commission recently published a news report that stated that one out of every two mothers have faced work discrimination at some point in their professional lives, either through pay reduction or losing their job.
One woman had reported to the commission that she was asked to consider an abortion if she wanted to keep working. Elizabeth Broderick, sex discrimination commisioner, during her career, had heard many instances like these which included a woman, who was fired from her job, being left homeless.
Many women are facing struggles at the workplace when they opt to take parental leave during the course of their pregnancy. The women, in such a case, find it difficult to manage their professional and personal lives.
A number of recommendations including that of strengthening anti-discrimination laws were included in the report, to which the government has reacted in a cold manner. The right to request flexible work arrangements is an inclusion to the Fair Work Act that the unions are hoping for. Currently, employers do not have to oblige to employees' request to be flexible to work timings.
The minister assisting the prime minister in cases related to women, Michaelia Cash had said that the government intended to stick to its election promise and will not change work laws but that the prime minister's office is willing to listen to stakeholders and their views.
$150,000 is being provided by the government to the commission to develop tool kits to reduce discrimination at work places. The chief of Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Kate Carness, said that work discrimination should not be considered a legal issue but is a people's issue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage