Box Office Report: Lucy Beats Hercules
By Sachin Trivedi | July 28, 2014 12:34 PM EST
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" has been dethroned at the weekend box office. "Lucy" emerged as the highest grossing film followed closely by "Hercules." Both the new movies are from the action genre. One is based on mythology while the other is a futuristic Sci-Fi movie.
Cast member Dwayne Johnson (L) and Lauren Hashian pose at the Los Angeles premiere of "Hercules" in Hollywood, California July 23, 2014. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok
"Lucy" has raced far ahead at the weekend box office. According to a report by Box Office Mojo, The movie made over $44 million in the U.S market. The movie is written and directed by Luc Besson and stars Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman.
The highly popular Dwayne Johnson starrer "Hercules" reportedly made $29 million in the U.S market. The movie also reportedly made over $28 million from the international market. The total earnings of the movie now stand at over $57 million.
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" was reportedly able to make over $16 million at the weekend box office. The total domestic and international collection of the movie stands at over $172 million and over $181 million respectively. The total collection for the movie is over $353 million.
The story of "Lucy" is about a woman who gets caught up with some shady characters involved in transporting illegal drugs. She unwillingly becomes their drugs mule after they put some "special" drugs in her stomach in an operation.
The "special" drugs accidentally get released into her system after one of her captors kicks her in the stomach. The event slowly starts to make her stronger. Morgan Freeman can be seen in the trailer of the movie saying that a normal human being only uses 10 percent of the brain's capacity. But Scarlett Johansson's character can use 28 percent of the brain and this grants her incredible powers.
Dwayne Johnson plays the mythical demigod in the movie "Hercules." The hero is recruited by the King of Thrace and his daughter to defeat a warlord. Viewers will also get to see some of the legendary 12 labours in the movie.
The monsters that viewers can expect to see in "Hercules" include the Nemean lion, the three headed guardian of the underworld Cerberus and the Hydra. The hero will have to fight as the champion of humanity against the forces of the gods.
"Lucy" and "Hercules" will be facing the popular upcoming movie "Guardians of the Galaxy" in the next weekend at the box office. The upcoming movie is a highly anticipated Sci-Fi adventure movie based on the Marvel Comics.
Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Remembering the Betrayal of the Freys [Read]
Winds of Winter Spoilers: Stannis Baratheon - Fans' Expectations [Read]
Star Wars 7: Harrison Ford Still Using a Crutch [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James