2014 Commonwealth Games: Stephanie Morton Beats Fellow Compatriot and Aussie Cycling Queen Anna Meares in Women’s Sprint
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 28, 2014 12:24 PM EST
Australia has added another medal to its Commonwealth haul after Stephanie Morton won a gold medal in women's sprint in Glasgow, beating fellow compatriot and Aussie cycling queen Anna Meares. Morton previously competed against Meares in the women's 500m Time Trial and won a silver medal.
Australia's Stephanie Morton (R) celebrates her gold medal with compatriot and silver medal winner Anna Meares in the women's sprint finals cycling race at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 27, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Winning
The 23-year-old was reportedly "surprised" with the victory. Morton added that the race was a "tough" one, but she was pleased about her recent success she thought was the biggest in her career.
Morton is bunking in with Meares at the athlete's village, Abc.net.au reported. She revealed that there wasn't any tension or whatsoever between her and Meares. According to Morton, they were really good at separating their professional and private lives. They can build a sense of balance between their sports career and their friendship. "Anna and I are really good at separating the Anna and Steph that are friends off the track and the Anna and Steph that have to ride on the track," said the Adelaide-born cyclist.
The line between personal and professional lives of sports personalities can often be increasingly intricate. Morton said that she was "lucky" that she didn't have to deal "awkwardness" with Meares. She said that she gets along very well with Meares. "We get along like a house on fire and I respect her so much as an athlete, so it's been fine."
Even though there was no rigid line between the two, Morton said it was tough to compete against Meares because they both know how they race.
Morton began her cycling career at an early age of 15, according to reports. She has raced against Meares quite a number of times. In 2011, she finished second behind Meares during the National Keirin Final. Three years later, Morton defeated Meares for the first time in Keirin.
Meanwhile, Meares was gracious with her second place finish and posted a picture of her silver medal on Twitter.
Proud of my silverware tonight. My 8th Commonwealth Medal from 9 starts over 12 yrs pic.twitter.com/7gLULI0v5v— Anna Meares (@AnnaMeares) July 27, 2014
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories