2014 Commonwealth Games: Stephanie Morton Beats Fellow Compatriot and Aussie Cycling Queen Anna Meares in Women’s Sprint
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 28, 2014 12:24 PM EST
Australia has added another medal to its Commonwealth haul after Stephanie Morton won a gold medal in women's sprint in Glasgow, beating fellow compatriot and Aussie cycling queen Anna Meares. Morton previously competed against Meares in the women's 500m Time Trial and won a silver medal.
Australia's Stephanie Morton (R) celebrates her gold medal with compatriot and silver medal winner Anna Meares in the women's sprint finals cycling race at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland, July 27, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Winning
The 23-year-old was reportedly "surprised" with the victory. Morton added that the race was a "tough" one, but she was pleased about her recent success she thought was the biggest in her career.
Morton is bunking in with Meares at the athlete's village, Abc.net.au reported. She revealed that there wasn't any tension or whatsoever between her and Meares. According to Morton, they were really good at separating their professional and private lives. They can build a sense of balance between their sports career and their friendship. "Anna and I are really good at separating the Anna and Steph that are friends off the track and the Anna and Steph that have to ride on the track," said the Adelaide-born cyclist.
The line between personal and professional lives of sports personalities can often be increasingly intricate. Morton said that she was "lucky" that she didn't have to deal "awkwardness" with Meares. She said that she gets along very well with Meares. "We get along like a house on fire and I respect her so much as an athlete, so it's been fine."
Even though there was no rigid line between the two, Morton said it was tough to compete against Meares because they both know how they race.
Morton began her cycling career at an early age of 15, according to reports. She has raced against Meares quite a number of times. In 2011, she finished second behind Meares during the National Keirin Final. Three years later, Morton defeated Meares for the first time in Keirin.
Meanwhile, Meares was gracious with her second place finish and posted a picture of her silver medal on Twitter.
Proud of my silverware tonight. My 8th Commonwealth Medal from 9 starts over 12 yrs pic.twitter.com/7gLULI0v5v— Anna Meares (@AnnaMeares) July 27, 2014
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery