LeBron James to Don Michael Jordan's Number Anew
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 28, 2014 12:09 PM EST
Yahoo Sports reports that the King is going all-in his return to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Nostalgia will be in full display as the best basketball player in the world has chosen his old No. 23 jersey number over the numbers 6 which he wore during his stint with the Miami Heat and 32, the first number he donned during his high school freshman playing days.
Miami Heat's LeBron James (L) is fouled by San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan as he drives to the basket during the first quarter in Game 4 of their NBA Finals basketball series in Miami, Florida, June 12, 2014.
James took to twitter his decision.
About ten days ago, James engaged his fans through social media to help him choose between the number 6 or 23.
Not a few minutes later and Adidas spokesperson Madeline Breskin confirmed the company's franctic pace to setup a production run for new LeBron James jerseys. More than 140 accounts have already ordered for new number 23 jerseys and t-shirts which will be shipped in the next 48 hours.
Adidas will not confirm on the exact number of jerseys which will be in production but reports say that all Cavaliers jerseys were already sold out home, away and alternate forms. As early as July 1th, orders were trickling in after the King proclaimed that he was returning home.
The change still comes as surprise to many as LeBron declared during his jersey which from 23 to 6 that he is changing his number in part to honor the greatest basketball player ever in Michael Jordan. He even encouraged his other players to never don a jersey number 23 to honor his legacy by retiring the number across the league.
Amongst active players, there are four toher players who are currently wearing the number 23 namely Anthony Davis of the New Orleans Pelicans, Kevin Martin of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Draymond Green of the Golden State Warriors and Jason Richardson of the Philadelphia 76ers.
During six of his eleven seasons in the NBA, James had led jersey sales and his recent switch to the Cavaliers will all but assure that the King will again be the top seller in jerseys.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation