LeBron James to Don Michael Jordan's Number Anew
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | July 28, 2014 12:09 PM EST
Yahoo Sports reports that the King is going all-in his return to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Nostalgia will be in full display as the best basketball player in the world has chosen his old No. 23 jersey number over the numbers 6 which he wore during his stint with the Miami Heat and 32, the first number he donned during his high school freshman playing days.
Miami Heat's LeBron James (L) is fouled by San Antonio Spurs' Tim Duncan as he drives to the basket during the first quarter in Game 4 of their NBA Finals basketball series in Miami, Florida, June 12, 2014.
James took to twitter his decision.
About ten days ago, James engaged his fans through social media to help him choose between the number 6 or 23.
Not a few minutes later and Adidas spokesperson Madeline Breskin confirmed the company's franctic pace to setup a production run for new LeBron James jerseys. More than 140 accounts have already ordered for new number 23 jerseys and t-shirts which will be shipped in the next 48 hours.
Adidas will not confirm on the exact number of jerseys which will be in production but reports say that all Cavaliers jerseys were already sold out home, away and alternate forms. As early as July 1th, orders were trickling in after the King proclaimed that he was returning home.
The change still comes as surprise to many as LeBron declared during his jersey which from 23 to 6 that he is changing his number in part to honor the greatest basketball player ever in Michael Jordan. He even encouraged his other players to never don a jersey number 23 to honor his legacy by retiring the number across the league.
Amongst active players, there are four toher players who are currently wearing the number 23 namely Anthony Davis of the New Orleans Pelicans, Kevin Martin of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Draymond Green of the Golden State Warriors and Jason Richardson of the Philadelphia 76ers.
During six of his eleven seasons in the NBA, James had led jersey sales and his recent switch to the Cavaliers will all but assure that the King will again be the top seller in jerseys.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand